Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People,
The repair list is mounting:rolleyes: . I think it may be time to break down and (dare I say it) buy a new car! I am not sure about keeping the L, but I don't know.
I don't really want a car loan, and if I did, I'm not even sure what to buy if I couldn't find a 94-95 6spd cpe!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!
Sorry, needed to vent!
Suggestions?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well....

1) Alternator and Starter are starting to fail
2) Injector Seals leak
3) Distributor O-ring leak
4) Cam plug leak
5) Oil cooler seal needs replacing
6) Oil pan gasket needs replacing
7) Valve cover gaskets leak
8) Bad CV joint

All adds up to a very exspensive list >$2,000':(

I'm going to do ~$750 now and decide on the rest later.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't know how mechanical you are , but if you just take them one thing at a time , it really shouldn't be that bad. I just changed my starter today, Cost $89.00 for a rebuilt one and a couple hours of my time, most of that was trying to get the two bolts broke loose, for some reason they were on extremely tight .
You can save alot of money by getting a little greasey.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I know the feeling.

If you really love your car and want to keep it, Do a little at a time.
Replace the most important parts 1st and ask around for deals on these parts you might me needing. Find a good Shop.

Try to fix something every 2 weeks etc. until the problem come under controll.

If your car not starting:

1. Check fuses
2. What the hell, it does not hurt to know what the Computer is reading.
3. Press the clutch and start the car!( I know)
4. Disarm the alarm before trouble shooting.
To Disarm I would use the key to open the door and then pop the hood. if the hood sensor works, the alarm should be dissabled even if you lock the door with a key. I would also unplug that alarm hoodd sensor thing to make sure.
5. Get in car, press the clutch and try to start the car and at the same time runn your left finger up and down the fuse block on the Fuse to see if the fuse connection is loose.

6. This happens to me intermittently, The starter siloniod thing acts up. I need to replace them. Well I park the car and turn it off and go to turn it back on and the car will not start. Use a pipe or hammer and slightly Tap on the top Bolt that holds the starter in place a few times and go and start the car. It works for me until I replace the starter and siloniod.

7. check battery and altenator to see if
A. battery is charged
b. Altenator is keeping the battery charged.
c. Check water level in battery

8. Is there a cell phone charger on etc. left in the car that can drain the battery?

So far that should help.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info...

Talrudeboy,
Thanks for list! This all started with the alternator...I was driving to Sac on Sunday and the Battery light came on, then the ABS light came on. When I got to Kragen, they said the battery checked out fully charged but that the alternator was not putting any voltage out. The next morning after having the Honda Dealer check it, the alternator worked fine. Go figure!
I don't mind getting dirty so much as I don't know what I am doing...
I think I'll keep the car for a while still, I'll work on the repairs one at a time, other than the leaks, I'd say the car is in pretty good shape.:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've replaced the valve cover gaskets, rear cam plug and oil pan gasket. I can detail the procedures if needed. The cam plug is the trickiest so save it till last out of these three.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That would be a start

I went ahead and had the dealer do the valve cover and side cover gaskets, the CV axle and the cam plug (it was the cheapest). So I am left with :
1) Alternator and Starter are starting to fail
2) Injector Seals leak
3) Distributor O-ring leak
4) Oil cooler seal needs replacing
5) Oil pan gasket needs replacing
Details on the oil pan gasket would be greatly apreciated! And any other if you have them!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Details please when you can. and Price!

I would love details on valve cover gaskets, rear cam plug and oil pan gasket.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
oil cooler seal

The oil cooler seal is not too bad to do yourself, trick is take off passenger tire, remove all plastic covers, do not remove water hoses from cooler, not really necessary and makes the job much easier.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.