Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horn sounds sickly - can anyone give me suggestions on what to replace it with.

I dont want the OEM sound, I want the airhorn type of sound - nothing too blasting, but still that airhorn (two tone, I think) sound.

Any brand suggestions? Thanks.

· Registered
417 Posts
I installed some air horns into my last commuter car as a secondary horn system ("the FU" horn vs. the "hi, are you moving so I can take your parking space?" horn.

It was amusing to wire in a big red button on my dash and was super cheap from Harbor Freight ($12 - they go on sale all the time)... but ultimately not worth it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=40134

Sure, it was loud as hell but the pitch was too high (even with both trumpets). Additionally, there was also a slight delay because the compressor had to start working before any sound would be made. Note: If you do decide to go down this route, make sure to check the relay BEFORE installation. Mine was defective and required me to reflow some solder points.

I also tried a pair of horns from a 70s Ford Torino (think Starsky & Hutch). They were ultimately kind of dissapointing as well (not loud enough). I did have a friend who pulling some horns of a 70s Cadillac and they were pretty impressive -- esp on his little Subaru. If you insist on upgrading your horn, I would go after the traditional diagphram style though vs. the air compressor -- the delay was a bit annoying.

-g

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.