Acura Legend Forum banner

Replacing Bose HU

779 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wolfphantom 
#1 ·
OKay guys I know there are a lot of threads out there about the need to replace bose speakers when installing a new HU. I have been getting mixed signals about what is the right way to do it. I know I should just replace the the speakers while I am replacing the HU but money is kinda short. According to this thread I have an L model since I have a 2200 stamped on my HU. That means I don't have to replace the speakers if I buy a new Alpine Flip out monitor correct? Will my factory 6 CD changer, aftermarket subs, and antenna work with the new HU? If someone could clear all these questions up I would greatly appreciate it before I go and screw up my whole entire system.

#3 ·
Here's the basic deal; if your HU is the amp for your speakers, and they measure a resistance of 4Ohms, then you can replace the HU with anything you want.

If the speakers measure anything other than 4Ohms across the speaker then you need to talk with an installer for the best options. You *may* still be able to replace the head unit, but you run the risk of damaging the HU and/or the speakers.

As for the factory changer and aftermarket subs; the factory 6-disc is a M-Bus changer from alpine and would require a "M-bus to Ai-Net" adapter to work with any of alpine's current flip-outs. The aftermarket equipment depends on how it is currently set-up, but there is a good chance that there wouldn't be any large problems.

I'm no guru, but that should all be correct.

#4 ·
In my opinion, since you have a sub setup... leaving the stock speakers would be a bad idea if you care anything about sound quality. We've all heard those horrendous systems that are all bass and no clarity and that is what you would have with speakers (that are poor quality to begin with) that are as old as these cars are.

I just put a set of Polk DB690's and DB675's in my car with a Pioneer Premier headunit and the entire setup was less than $500 installed myself.

I plan on adding two 10's and my amp at a later date.

#5 ·
The speakers in the L model will work since they are nominal 4 Ohms. The annenta will work as well. You just have to hook it up to the Alpines 12V antenna output. The OEM CD changer WILL NOT work even if you were to use an M-Bus to Ai-Net adaptor. The M-Bus changers do not have the Alpine Ai-Net protocal to work with an Ai-Net deck. In fact, I am not familiar with an M-Bus to Ai-Net adaptor and all and don't think it exists. However, come Apline changers are hybrid Ai-Net and M-Bus units and using a Ai-Net to M-Bus adaptor you can switch the Ai-Net changer into M-Bus mode, use the adaptor and hook that changer to an M-Bus headunit. Also, the subs should work as long as it is powered by its own amp. All you have to do is connect it to the Subwoofer output on the headunit, or any other output if it doesn't have a dedicated sub out.

#6 ·
ChrisK is right - new Alpine heads that support Ai-Net aren't backwards compatable with the old M-Bus changers. It makes me sad... it'll be a while before I can afford to care to pony up the cash for a new alpine AND a new changer. :rolleyes:

#7 ·
I told you I was not perfect. Ai-Net changer to M-Bus HU is possible: http://www.alpine-usa.com/support/head_units/head_units_faq11.html, but not the reverse which you would need.

But you could get a 6-disc Ai-net changer from alpine and drop it in the factory location.

Subs are subs, I would just recommend running RCAs into the Pre-outs from the amp for the best connection.

While the speakers are 4Ohms then I would still recommend upgrading them, since the factory speakers in the average car are CRAP.

Thank you. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.