Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be replacing my front brakes soon and am wondering...

1. What type of brake pads should I buy?
2. If the disks need replaced, what should I buy?
3. Are there any surprises I should expect when doing this?

It looks pretty simple in my Helm service manual here.

90 Legend LS Sedan

·
Registered
293 Posts
From somebody who had never done any brake work, it was straight forward. I also used the Helm manual. I bought pad at Advanced Auto Parts - the Wearever, Gold series. I am very pleased. Fit great and the shim plates came with them. I merely resurfaced my rotors so not sure about those. Use a C-clamp with a piece of wood to push the piston back in and watch the fluid level as you screw.

I did use anti-squeel compound on the back shim plates just in case.

Clean everything good with brake cleaner. Put down newspaper underneath b/c all kind of brake dust, etc will drip off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How did you resurface the rotors? Did you remove and take them somewhere? Are there wheel bearings to re-pack or anything?

You have to forgive me - the last car I changed brakes on was a '76 Camaro about 15 years ago. I'm a little out of practice.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Merely remove the brass retaining screws and they come off as I recall. Follow Helms' schematics. The brass screws were a PITA to remove because they were striped by previous mechanics. I had to use a nail punch to get them loosened (I could see where the last person did this too). I wish I had replacements screws from the dealer but it was a Saturday so had to put the old ones back on.

Took the rotors to a 10 minute oil change place which offers brake service. They resurfaced the rotors for $10 each.

Nothing to repack.

Whole job, including about 1 hr for the resurfacing, took about 4 hrs. This was my first brake job ever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
heres what you might want...

dude,

buy semi metalic pads [I use Axxis semi-metallic] and you should be fine with standard rotors if those need to be replaced.

i went ahead and put powerstop cross drilled on my car, front and back....as an upgrade and to say i notice an improvement on braking is an understatement. the car stops much faster, the brakes dont fade anymore and those pads dont have a lot of dust. [good brakes in San Francisco are a must]. i got the rotors for 95.00 a piece and front/rear sets of pads for like 75.00 total. those prices where before tax.

again though, you dont 'have' to upgrade your brakes but if you do its something you wont regret.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the job last Saturday and unfortunately I had to buy new disks. I decided to go with OEM parts from the Acura dealer and it was a bit expensive, but, hopefully it will pay off in the form of better quality.

Brake pads $53
Front disks(rotors) $187 for the pair

Next up...
"4x Tranny flush by Gil"

·
Registered
133 Posts
randar,
i realize its a little late now, but acura dealers [and most car dealers for that matter] charge a huge mark-up on parts and service bay labor because thats their bread and butter. New car dealers dont make crud from selling new cars.
if you bought oem rotors from the dealer you payed at least 20-30% more than you should have for the part.
now, an OEM part from a dealer is gonna be better than getting the part from say...Auto Zone. but you can get the same OEM part for a helluva lot less.

-i used to work at a new car dealer in sacramento and it really opened my eyes about the inner workings of dealerships.

in either case, i hope you get the end result...working brakes :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know... I know...

I had the wheels off and needed to get the job done that day. I wasn't sure the rotors needed replaced until I took them to have them resurfaced at none other than "AutoZone". They quoted me $26 per rotor to replace them and the guy even said "These are the same ones I use on my Z". I ran out the door as fast as I could. Since I wanted the job done that day, I went to the dealer for the parts.

BTW... where do you get OEM parts other than a dealer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts