Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, tomorrow I am going to install my fender liners in my GS and I had just a few questions. First, prior to doing this should I thoroughly clean the wheel wells (they really are not that dirty), if so with what. I know that sounds a little funny but what I mean is what should I use that will not trap in moisture or be corrosive to the metal; I live in Flagstaff so 80% of year there is no rain or really cold temps, however, winter can sometimes be bad and even though we do not use salt on the roads I worry a little bit about rust during the winter (maybe that is just stupid). Come to think of it I have not really ever seen anybody with rust anywhere in AZ (well, unless they have exposed, unfinished metal from an accident).

Also, the second concern is, the Legends' body panels are supposed to be galvanized, so, since they are basically coated in zinc what is safe to clean the zinc laden surface with? I have a feeling I am going to get laughed at for such simple questions, I just want to keep my Legends' in the best shape they can be for as long as I own them.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
what i did was take the fender liners off and cleaned the fenders as much as i could. rock guarded it. then put new liners on. that will guarantee nothing gets stuck in them... i dont trust the liners just by themselves... :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What did you use to clean the fenders with and what is rock guarding? I really do not trust the fender liners all that much either so if there is anything else I can do to protect the fender surfaces, please let me know.

·
The Great White North
813 Posts
i removed my fender liners and discovered that the driver side had trapped some contaminant in and was concealing rust! :(
so now i need to get my quarter done.
I was planning on leaving them off (as they have been since the discovery)
Is this a bad course of action? should i put them on when cleaned after or not

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems like we have got some genuine concerns here, anybody want to chime in as to the best course of action for the previous poster?

I got my GS from the east coast area (North Carolina) and for some reason the owner had removed all the fender liners, could this be why?

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
heres the steps i took.

i knew i should have taken pics for DIY for this..
Luckly i got to it b4 it was too late.

ok
1. take the fender liners off
2. goto part source .. dunno what shops you have in the states, Walmart etc and buy rust remover ( its this green slimey stuff, cleans off the surface rust and leaves just the clean metal)

i would recommend jacking up ur car, removing the tire and covering your brakes with a garbage bag or something

3. now after you clean the fender of dirt and what ever rust u can take off, sand it down, first with like 300 grit ish ish paper or rougher, depending on how u want to do it. keep at it until most all the rust is rubbed off the left over good metal ( im speaking from what i had to do, i dont know how bad your fenders are ) and then used fine sand paper to just smooth it out.

-rockguard is pretty much undercoating

4. use painters tape and tape around the outter part of the rear fender and then cover exposed car body with newspaper etc etc.. (rockguard is messsssy stuff)

5. go nuts and spray the rockguard top and bottom where the fender liner is supposed to be. (this stuff will take at least 45 to completely dry.) i coated it twice just to be safe.. and it dries a thin yet very strong layer, so dont worry about it looking all f**ked up.

6. once its all dried.. get new fender liners and just put them on. and the rockguard will protect the fender from what the fender liners cant ... its good stuff.

sorry about this write up.. im at work so its kinda crappy.. i'll try and take pics if you guys want.. but im sure its pretty straight forward.. the two rear fenders took me like 2 hours to finish... took my time .. just to be safe..
and if you do get this rockguard stuff (undercoating) overspray onto ur cars body, dont worry there is a product u can buy from duplicolor that removed it without harming your cars clear coat or paint.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
like i said, luckly all my fenders were just surface rust or little to no rust.

hopefully for you when u take the fender liners off it doesn't take the whole piece off with it due to the rust, in that case you would need to rebuild it urself.. BOONDOOO! or just get a new fender.. :(

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,672 Posts
acura dealership . i still have to get mine..

i fergot what the price was .. something lik 30-40$ a side

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I actually have no rust, just a moderate amount of dirt in my wheel wells, no rust; I am just worried that that dust my end up trapping in moisture and cause rust when winter comes back around. I know that the fender liners do not completely seal the fenders, so, do the wheel wells need to be completely cleaned before installing the fender liners or is it ok to install them with the dirt still on the wheel wells?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts