Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months back, someone got the front passenger door of my 93' LS on a hit and run. Words cannot describe my frustration. At any rate, I was lucky enough to find another door frame and matching outer panel. My question is whether the entire door frame has to be replaced or whether it's possible to disconnect the out door panel and swap them. I've done a bit of work here and there. I've had the inner door panels removed before to install new speakers, but cannot tell if the outer panel can be removed.

Obviously prefer not to replace the entire door frame/panel if it not required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
WJ

·
Fut RIP
10,147 Posts
A couple of months back, someone got the front passenger door of my 93' LS on a hit and run. Words cannot describe my frustration. At any rate, I was lucky enough to find another door frame and matching outer panel. My question is whether the entire door frame has to be replaced or whether it's possible to disconnect the out door panel and swap them. I've done a bit of work here and there. I've had the inner door panels removed before to install new speakers, but cannot tell if the outer panel can be removed.

Obviously prefer not to replace the entire door frame/panel if it not required.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
WJ
the whole door would need to be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was kind of suspecting that. I had actually seen a 2nd gen legend driving around with its outer panel removed though, so was curious if anyone had ever removed and replaced one.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
When replacing an outer door skin, the damaged one is removed by grinding the perimeter edges. A new panel is then hammer/dollied on (lips bent over edge of door frame flange) and given a couple of tack welds. You cannot remove an outer panel and then install it onto a frame. If you have a door assy; esp. one of matching color, the easiest repair is to swap the complete door.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I kind of figured I would have to remove the entire door assembly, but was hoping for an easier solution. I've taken the inner panel off a number of times for speaker install and replace the passenger side switch plate.

Just curious if you've got any pointers on removing all of the inners of the door assembly. I know I'm going to have to strip all of the connectors off, and have never done that before. Will also have to worry about the door lock and window/motor assembly.

I'm done a few searches, but can't find any decent DIY on swapping the door/frame out. It's probably going to boil down to combining one for window motor replacement with a door lock actuator swap and improvising the rest......

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Replacing the door is not that bad but would highly recommend removing the front fender to have easier access to remove the bolts and wire harness. The wire harness needs to be unplugged from just inside the door, there are four plugs. Otherwise just remove the plastic cover from the middle of the door, just pop it out, remove a small c-clip and remove the metal piece. Once that is done it is just four bolts on the door hinges, recommend you close the door, hold it in place and remove bolts and then open door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts