Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question...

How do I remove the rear speakers? Mine appear to have blown and I'd like to replace them. Also, what size are they? 6 inches? Doing some shopping on Ebay.

Thanks,

Chris
88' Legend L Sedan
Kenwood CD

·
Registered
270 Posts
The ones in my '90 I think are the same as the '88 and they are
6 1/2 " rounds at all corners...

Good luck...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
88 Sedan rear speakers

I assumed they were 6 1/2.

Any idea how to get them out?

Chris
'88 L Sedan
Kenwood CD

·
Five- O
857 Posts
i have a 88 coupe and the rear speakers unscrew from the bottom- You have to go into your trunk. They should be 6 1/2 all around.

good luck
esti

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good luck !!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
'88 L Sedan Rear Speakers

I saw that they unscrew from the trunk. However, it appears that you can only remove them from the rear deck inside.

I've tried to pop the grills off, but with no luck. Don't want to pull too hard and break the damn things. Are the speakers actually attached to the grill?

Chris
'88 Legend L Sedan

·
Registered
60 Posts
first of all I believe the rear decks are 6 x 9 in the back and 6 1/2 in the doors and up front. The grill is not attached to the speaker it just has little plastic clips it should just pop off try using a screw driver. The speakers are attched from the top and bottom. You must unattach them from inside the trunk and then unscrew them from the inside of the car and they come out from the inside of the car. Make sure not to break off the connector clips for the gril because it will rattle like biatch if you do. If you are replacing the fronts good luck because you must take off the entire door panel to get to them the grill there now is fake it doesnt coem off!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'88 L Sedan Rear Speakers

Thats what I thought. I just have to put a little more elbow grease into popping off the grills. Just don't want to break them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
As I recall, those covers do NOT pop off but are screwed on from beneath. Remove the screws from the bottom (in trunk) and the unit should lift out from inside the car.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yup... I just checked to make sure... The bolts go through the plastc grill ring, through the speaker housing and the nut is put on in the trunk !!

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you have the Bose stereo, I understand you have to replace with Bose speakers (assuming you still have the OEM Bose stereo). I have the base model so this was not an issue and I bought off the shelf speakers. Hopefully some others with the Bose can shed light on this.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Rick... It seems that there are people here that are having success with other types of speakers than just the Bose... There are threads in the Stereo part of the forum !!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I had just read that each Bose speaker has its own amplifier or something like that but I'm not sure. Chris just needs to look into this before buying any speakers.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I missread your post before and thought you had a bose... I agree that you should look at everything before you make a decision !! These forums are great for that !!

·
Five- O
857 Posts
you sedan guys have 6 x9 in the rear? Lucky bastards :D

·
Registered
293 Posts
90 Base sedan has round 6 1/2 inch speakers. Can't imagine they're any different on any other Legend sedan without a modification.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Nope... I have 6 1/2" rounds in the back of my sedan!! Must be the Bose that have 6X9's....

·
Registered
427 Posts
I believe that the bose system are 6x9 in the back because my 88 coupe speakers in the front doesn't look like the back and when i measured the back to see what size it came out around 6.9 inches kind of look like a oval egg shape.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have an 88 coupe Legend and I had no problem re-installing some Kenwood speakers, all you have to do is put some elbow grease into it man and pop the covers.... then unscrew them with a cross-head, thats all I had to do!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Actually, the rears are not 6x9's in mine. They are 6 1/2. Hope anyone else with an 88 L Sedan has the same. Just got my speakers purchased on Ebay today and will try to install this weekend.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts