Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..

Has anyone written up some good directions for replacing the rear tranny mount on an automaitc second gen. L ? If not.. can anyone who has replaced the rear mount give me some pointers on how it is best done ? Any pitfalls I should know about before I get into it ?

Much thanks

G

·
I had to have this done a few weeks ago, I had a wierd noise whenever I turned to the right and thought that it was the CV Joints but it ended up being stuff moving around because of the broken tranny mount and hitting the axles.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
my mounts are gone bad. It really sound like its a front axle though but im pretty sure thats something helse. Does tha car shake when your in D4 and your foots on the brake? How much was it to replace your tranny mounts.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
There is only one rear transmission mount. Order it from Acura of Augusta. You also need to order two self-locking nuts, and I would recommend replacing the bolts and springs (tend to be very rusted) as well as the sealing gasket as the exhaust must be disconnected. This can be a DIY if you can raise the vehicle high enough. I wrote a step-by-step including tools on the other Forum under G2 Trans Mount a couple of yrs ago. You need to remove the complete assy-- both sections of the mount; the bracket from the floor pan and the mount affixed to the transaxle. Need to do this in order to remove the horizontal bolt which bolts the mount to the bracket. Disassemble, reinsert the bolt finger tight and then reinstall. Once you are underneath and the heat shield is removed (along with exhaust piping) you can readily see what must be done. Takes longer to raise the vehicle than perform the R&R on the mount. I used a floor jack to support the transaxle. Some have said this is not necessary. Err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Ssup, everyone.

I've done the rear trans mount (to date) on 7 G2 legends (1 of them was my own). I did a neighbor's 94L for a case of beer and his son told some friends whos parents have legends.

Well, next thing - I'm charging $30.00 (friend of a friend of a friend price) to do the job. And you absolutely do not need to support the any portion of the trans to remove and replace the rear trans mount.

I, myself, would not attempt to do this (much less at only $30.00) if I did not have an acetylene torch because like LPB said, those two self-locking nuts can literally freeze themselves onto the bolts AND you stand a VERY VERY VERY good chance of stripping the nut and worse the bolt head (I'm talking about the sprung bolts assemblies that secure the A pipe to the cat) - so I heat those nuts until I see them glowing red and blats them with the air rachet and they pop right off. I also (myself) have not replaced the sealing gasket on any man trans job.

Anyone around No. Va who needs this done... let me know... you will pull up and be driving off in less than 30 minutes!

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
damit man make a rear tranny replacing trip to the ATL im sure a bunch of us could use it. What would a shop charge me? i have a good mechanic i will call later i was just wondering for now. $30 sounds great i wish you were around here.

·
Registered
744 Posts
I called Karen Radley and service said he knows the book calls for 2 hours labor at $77.00 and he thought rears trans mount runs between $180.00 - $200.00.

Now, the real she~ite would be if I carefully packed all my equipment in the back and showed up at a meet, did a little work and got paid - that would be **** good!

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
KNLNGUS said:
Ssup, everyone.

I've done the rear trans mount (to date) on 7 G2 legends (1 of them was my own). I did a neighbor's 94L for a case of beer and his son told some friends whos parents have legends.

Well, next thing - I'm charging $30.00 (friend of a friend of a friend price) to do the job. And you absolutely do not need to support the any portion of the trans to remove and replace the rear trans mount.

I, myself, would not attempt to do this (much less at only $30.00) if I did not have an acetylene torch because like LPB said, those two self-locking nuts can literally freeze themselves onto the bolts AND you stand a VERY VERY VERY good chance of stripping the nut and worse the bolt head (I'm talking about the sprung bolts assemblies that secure the A pipe to the cat) - so I heat those nuts until I see them glowing red and blats them with the air rachet and they pop right off. I also (myself) have not replaced the sealing gasket on any man trans job.

Anyone around No. Va who needs this done... let me know... you will pull up and be driving off in less than 30 minutes!

KNLNGUS
What are the symptoms of having a bad rear tranny mount?
I had my mechanic visually inspect it and it was not cracked or had any visual issues, and since I dont know what the symptoms are, I dont know how to KNOW when it breaks (i doubt it's bad now, but I mean, I'd like to know what the symptoms are, for when it DOES go bad..)..

·
Registered
744 Posts
The most common thing that I have heard from the auto owners is a rough shift (especially from first to second) but what also feels like a rough idle at a specific rpm, and one lady said the car doesn't feel balanced during aggressive turning and she occasionally heard a thump.

Well, it doesn't feel balanced during agressive turns because with the trans mount out - with one hand you can literally move the transmission AND engine from side to side - and this my friends is no lie - the trans can touch either side of the well in the under belly - with the rubber f'd up on a trans mount

From the man trans folks, I've heard a rough feeling idle at a specific rpm range, erratic difficulty when shifting, and I sat in this guys coupe when he started his engine and there was a fast thumping noise coming from the arm rest console - basically right over where the rear trans mount is. So that was no brainer.

Hope this helps. Chime in if you felt something a miss and a mechanic diagnosed a rear trans mount problem.

KNLNGUS

·
Registered
699 Posts
KNLNGUS

whats up man? im in the Nortern VA area and im not 100% sure i need to tranny mounts but theres a good chance i probably do. if you can replace mine for me sometime ill buy you a keg:) or 30# or whatever....lemme know whats up. thanks.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Pacs legend, the biggest piece of advise I can offer you is to... stop, drop, and purchase a HELM manual. Interim of that happening - perhaps someone is willing to copy some text out of thier HELM and fax it to you. I would, but I'm in PHILLY and my book is at home (in VA).

As I mentioned before everybody - I have tried to many times to mess with exhaust nuts and bolts and with the constant heat and cool, heat and cool, along with precipitation - those nuts will rust on the bolts. The nuts are a locking type and do an excellent job securing however, they are malleable - so please be advised. I wouldn't do the job without an torch and my impact tools.

Acurate420, not a problem - just get in contact with me when the time comes.

KNLNGUS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.