Acura Legend Forum banner

reprocussions of not changing the timing belt

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  tubby 
#1 ·
what will happen if the timing belt is not replaced on a Legend? my car has 157,000 on the odo and to my knolage the timing belt has never been replaced

#5 ·
I think the interval are every 70,000 miles- check your manual.
I don't believe that there are any signs, except when it breaks and your car doesn't work anymore. The repair will run a few grand so you should get it changed.

Esti

#6 ·
not neccessarily will the engine go

in my case it didnt, I had no idea and was cruising one day and then it just shut off on me....had to get it towed and then found out the timing belt shifted off

luckily and shockingly no engine damage, changed the belt and water pump and was back on the road

If only they put stickers under the hood of when it was changed

change it now before it just shuts off, it does not give any warning signs. I use to think it use to make weird loud noises and that signaled it all. My timing belt went around 142 K, wonder if it was the original

#7 ·
I know I'm about due. How much should it cost to get this done along with the water pump? Anybody know???

#9 ·
Today, I went to the dealer where I got my Generation2 from. They said, when they receive the cars, they do all maintainance and cleaning. However, according to him, they open the plastic cover to check the belt, if it has no marks, or apparent chips, they don't replace it. Which they said was the case in my 94GS.

Now, my 1994 Legend Sedan GS has 134k on it. I do not have the $$$ right now, so it's going to be 1-2months . Hopefully it's the 2nd timing belt, and not the original! Keep your fingers crossed for me....

My parents now have my older 1990 Legend Coupe, that car had 112,000 miles when we got it, it's up to 126,000 miles now or so, the dealer for that car, has NO knowledge as if to the timing belt has been replaced, going to have to get that changed too, just in case

#10 ·
TB change interval is 90k miles. This is not maintenance to put off - at least not more than 10k miles (up to 100k). If it breaks, be ready to spend big $$. Don't understand why people put the replacement of such a critical maintenance item off. It's not cheap to replace but only comes at 90k miles and if it breaks, you will be sorry.

When changing, do TB, water pump, cam and crankshaft seals, etc.

#12 ·
ALL rubber seals will leak eventually - always replace seals when they are accessible. Labor is too costly to change just the seals in the timing belt area - do it when the belt is off. To me, it's like the water pump - it will fail and labor is expensive to replace. Do it all with one labor charge.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.