Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so yeah, just recently, i posted about my 5-speed's 400,000th birthday. sad news is, those numbers don't come without difficulties. here's a list of annoyances just off the top of my head:

1) no second gear. it sucks shifting from 1st to 3rd especially in heavy freeway traffic.

2) i've warped my 2nd set of rotors all around. my front ones are actually on their third set and i'm not quite sure what i'm doing wrong. i should have new calipers all around, fresh pads every time i change anything (except the last time i did the front rotors) but my car still shudders violently when i hit the brakes from anything above 60 mph.

3) i snapped the parking brake cable and while i jerryrigged a fix for it, i need to be careful not to rip it like any other car.

4) the last 2 accidents it survived keeps the driver-side door from opening all the way and the window to stop half-way down.

5) i replaced the crunched fender with a silver one (it's originally a red legend with black bumpers and a gold hood painted black) so it's really ghetto looking.

6) the radiator leaks. the same fashion as tuba's radiator and while it's never been the cause of an overheat for me, i needed to fill the coolant every so often. sometimes, tho admittedly rare, the amount of coolant spraying from the radiator would drain into the spark plugs and the car'd sputter. i got me a new radiator from mrtouchedme but i've been too lazy to replace it.

6) whoever did the rear tint did a HORRIBLE job: there's layers of tint that overlap and it's old so the whole rear window looks like it's bubbling. makes it difficult to see anything behind you.

7) the engine's weak. there's a noticeable difference in pull, according to my ass-dyno, between my 300k auto and hte 400k 5-speed. it's surprising how it gets the mileage it does.

5-speed chart.

auto chart

but i kinda miss the power...

anyhoo, so i decided it'd be cheaper to put it away and get me another vehicle. it's kinda sad cuz i wanna see it hit the 500000 mark like some people mentioned but i gotta go the cheap route.

good news is, i found a manual 90 legend coupe with 157k miles! i tested it today and sheez... i've been missing out. it's got a nasty bump on the passenger side but the rest is really clean! $1900 stretches some sensitive muscles for me but i think it's still better than the $3500 i'da spent just for engine and tranny...

just an update.

·
Aguy
1,314 Posts
sorry to hear about that. the 500k mark would have been nice. Maybe you can keep it just to toy around with once in a while. Maybe it will still hit the 500k mark sooner or later

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no pics yet. i'm gunna purchase it fri and hopefully pick it up not shortly after.

hey how may different kinds of rims did the g1 come with? and were front clear corners something only the 90 coupes had? i didn't recognize the rims on that thing tho it had the acura cover and i remember noting the front clear corners. the dude didn't seem the type to change things like that.

anyhoo, i'll snap some pics come friday. man, i'm already having second thoughts about letting go of my original 5-speed...

does anyone here know anything about that vehicle retirement program? i've no dreams of anyone putting down $1000 for a car with 400,000 miles on it so my best bet is that VRP.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Sad to hear you have to retire it... but I a glad you're planning to pick another one up! haha. Maybe the current one will be a slow, on-going project. =]

how many different kinds of rims did the g1 come with? and were front clear corners something only the 90 coupes had? i didn't recognize the rims on that thing tho it had the acura cover and i remember noting the front clear corners.
Coupes had the same wheels all years of production I believe... 86 - 88 sedans had a different set and 89-90 sedans had yet another set.

Clear corners never came on USDM Legends... only on Legends produced in other countries (eg. Japan, Austrailia, New Zealand [I believe], etc).

does anyone here know anything about that vehicle retirement program? i've no dreams of anyone putting down $1000 for a car with 400,000 miles on it so my best bet is that VRP.
I'm not too familiar with it... but I assume it's simliar to our antique cars program here in WA? I believe once a car reaches a certain age you can get different plates so you don't have to pay for tabs anymore or something... What's the VRP?

·
489,000 km's stil going
1,016 Posts
so yeah, just recently, i posted about my 5-speed's 400,000th birthday. sad news is, those numbers don't come without difficulties. here's a list of annoyances just off the top of my head:

I hear ya! Tonight i will hit 475,000kms, I plan to snap a photo of that and use as my next Avtar. The rust is killing my car more then any mechanical problems.
1) no second gear. it sucks shifting from 1st to 3rd especially in heavy freeway traffic.

2nd has been going on me since last summer, but really it still pops out occasionally, every 20 shifts or so. That has stayed the same for a long time. I have become used to it.2) i've warped my 2nd set of rotors all around. my front ones are actually on their third set and i'm not quite sure what i'm doing wrong. i should have new calipers all around, fresh pads every time i change anything (except the last time i did the front rotors) but my car still shudders violently when i hit the brakes from anything above 60 mph.

Just purchased 2 new rotors and pads for the rear - cost me a whole $58.00 CDN cash from the auto supplier I go too. At that price replacing every two years is no problem.

3) i snapped the parking brake cable and while i jerryrigged a fix for it, i need to be careful not to rip it like any other car.

Brakes did not hold - but after replacing the rotors & pads they worked fine again with no adjustment required.

7) the engine's weak. there's a noticeable difference in pull, according to my ass-dyno, between my 300k auto and hte 400k 5-speed. it's surprising how it gets the mileage it does.

My engine seems strong and passes E-test. No smoke - really smooth. It truly amazes me.

anyhoo, so i decided it'd be cheaper to put it away and get me another vehicle. it's kinda sad cuz i wanna see it hit the 500000 mark like some people mentioned but i gotta go the cheap route.

I'm lookin to hit the 1/2 century mark (in Km's). It's a fun goal... It should almost correspond with my last house payment. Every month I drive a car that cost me less then $100.00 in repairs/month on average puts that savings in my pocket through my house. So at 500K I plan on considering something else.
good news is, i found a manual 90 legend coupe with 157k miles! i tested it today and sheez... i've been missing out. it's got a nasty bump on the passenger side but the rest is really clean! $1900 stretches some sensitive muscles for me but i think it's still better than the $3500 i'da spent just for engine and tranny...

just an update.
Excellent! and you have a free spare parts dept with your other car!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.