Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
G

·
45 series is going to give you better acceleration and it is also the same size as the stock wheels, that way your speedometer won't need to be recalibrated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,606 Posts
acutally 215 50 17 is the closest size you can get to the stock 215 55 16 .

With the 215 50 17 you spedometer will read .6% to slow so when your going 60 on the speedo your really going 60.4.

With the 215 45 17 you spedometer will read 2.7% to fast so when your going 60 mon your speedo your really going 58.4.

If you do go for the 45 series i suggest 225 45 17 because that would only make you 1.3% to fast when your spedo says 60 your going 59.2

i guess the choice is up to you but a 50 series will give a better ride with less space between the fender , not to mention a more accurate speedometer.
 

·
502MotorSports.com
Joined
·
9,296 Posts
Roger said:
wouldent 215 50 17 be better?? alittle smother ride and not as much space between the fender??
No, going with a 215/50/17 is going larger than stock, plus will look awkward.

Your stock overall diameter is 24.88" with 205/55/16 (632mm)
With a 215/5017 it will go up to a 25.46" diameter (647mm)
With a 215/45/17 it is 24.62" or (625mm)
With a 225/45/17 it is 24.97" or (634mm)

As you see, the last two are a lot closer to the stock diameter than the 50 series, not to mention it may scrub. Remember, he said he wants to avoid scrubbing - sedans are more prone to scrubbing issues with the wrong offset wheel.
 
G

·
Wow, I just realized that I don't understand at all the sizing of tires... I thought that the first number stood for the width, so like if you had a 8" wheel you would always get a 235 or if you had a 7.5" that would be 225, and 7=215. Could someone explain this better? Thanks.
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
SpeedDemon said:
Wow, I just realized that I don't understand at all the sizing of tires... I thought that the first number stood for the width, so like if you had a 8" wheel you would always get a 235 or if you had a 7.5" that would be 225, and 7=215. Could someone explain this better? Thanks.
This is true, but each tire manufacturer has a recomended rim width to use with their particular size tire. So, for the 7" rim, a 215 is probabaly right in the center, but many recomend a minimum and a maximum rim width. So, even if a 215 would probably be the perfect fit for a 7" wide rim, often the 7' wide rim is well within the recemended width for a 225 tire.
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
Roger said:
wouldent 215 50 17 be better?? alittle smother ride and not as much space between the fender??
While this is true, since I used 215/50/17 as my first set of tires on my 17x7 witha +46, it will rub even on the stock suspension. Mine did. The 215/45/17 didn't rub. Now I use 225/45/17, and I reb slightly at times, but believe it or not, it is not as much as my 215/50/17 on stock hieght.

Also, as far as speedometer accuracy is concearn, as long as you are close enough you are okay. Within 1-2% is more than okay. There is a speedometer tolerance that the car makers stay within. They do not calibate every speedomter to be exact. Often it is something like 5% at 60MPH or somthing like that. That means two brand new cars coming off the show rum floor can have different readings at 60MPH.

My state law specifies that the total rim/tire diamter has to stay within 7% of the OEM rim/tire size. Anything over and it is not legal, but anything within 7% is okay. That can be 7% larger or smaller than OEM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,606 Posts
Leon Millette said:


No, going with a 215/50/17 is going larger than stock, plus will look awkward.

Your stock overall diameter is 24.88" with 205/55/16 (632mm)
With a 215/5017 it will go up to a 25.46" diameter (647mm)
With a 215/45/17 it is 24.62" or (625mm)
With a 225/45/17 it is 24.97" or (634mm)

As you see, the last two are a lot closer to the stock diameter than the 50 series, not to mention it may scrub. Remember, he said he wants to avoid scrubbing - sedans are more prone to scrubbing issues with the wrong offset wheel.
isnt stock 215 55 16???? making the overall diameter 25.3 inches??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
you guys also need to think about 16 in GS rims and tires sizes too.

The 15in L/LS rims had 205/60/15 for tires which gave a overall of 24.68inches

The 16in GS rims had 215/55/16 for tires and gave a overall of 25.31inches

215/45/17 on a car that had GS rims will be a little too small.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
I'm running 215/50/17 on my sedan, and it doesn't rub at all, but I'm also running higher offset than you at +51mm. So I don't know, I don't see how 215/50/17 will rub because it's almost the same size as your stock GS. but if you want play it safe, just get 215/45/17 that'll garantee no rubbing.
 
G

·
So would a 225/45/17 give me better grip than a 215/45/17?

Also would it be ok for me to use different tires in the rear from the front?

Would 235 not work on a 17x7 +48 rim?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
Here's my insight OK, if your car is LS coupe or GS, get 17" with 215/50R17 with 17x7 or 17x7.5 rims, but if you used 17x8, get 235/45R17 tires.

And with 18, you can either used 225/40R18 or 235/40R18 tires, depends on your rim width.

For others, use the 215/45R17 tires, because it will closely match your stock rim/tires diameter.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top