Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RM racing intake

I just got my RM racing intake in the mail the other day and i started putting it in my 95 4 door legend and i am alittle confused. The intake has 3 tubes that come from it. One is a small tube on the top of the intake, another one is on the bottom pointing directly down with a tube turned 90 degrees towards the filter and another tube is pointing straight towards the engine. When i put the intake on, the intake does not clear the power steering tank and i have no clue on what the bigger two tubes connect to. I got no instructions just a hand drawn picture on what i recieved in the box. Im not too happy because i wanted to go running tonight, but if someone helps me out, i might be able to get out just in time. pictures would be great. thanks. Nando

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
i believe since its a 95 you have tcs. If thats the case I belive you have to saw 2 inches off the end of it. Someone back me up here:confused:

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: RM racing intake

For TCS-equipped cars, you need to saw off a few (maybe 2, not sure, since I don't got a TCS) inches from the edge, since the TCS unit attached to the intake manifold. If you have a NON-TCS-equipped car and the intake is too short, most likely you bought the one made for TCS. When I put my air intake, the air filter almost hit the side of the car, so mine fit and mine is a NON-TCS-equipped car.

Before you took out the stock intake, you should've made notice that there are 3 tubes, one relatively large one and 2 smaller ones. Your intake should have 3 holes on the side, probably lined right next to each other with the largest of the 3 holes toward the Power Steering Mechanism. Whereas the stock OEM intake routed the 2 smaller hoses more toward the intake manifold and the largest hose routed toward the bottom somehow.

When you removed it, make sure to detach the hoses from the OEM intake, not from the motor, this will confuse you, because you'll probably lose track of what goes where as it already seems to be.

Most likely you will either need to buy new rubber tubes or cut your existing ones to fit. Make sure you leave some centimeters of room for vibration movement, firm fit, etc. Just plug'em right in and it should be fine.

I have a K&N Intake tube and filter, so that's what I'm basing these instructions off of. The only difference in most ways between yours and mine is the filter itself.

If yours is different still than mine, take pics, scan'em and post'em. Cuz, I can't help you if I can't see what you got (or just scan the paper you got.

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
Not sure about the specific hook up for the RM Racing as I built my own, but unless you have a '95 GS sedan, or LS Coupe, you do not have TCS, so there is no need to cut.

RM Racing also only has one application for the Legend, and is designed primarily for non-TCS equipped cars. However, I believe that it will fit a TCS equipped car. It'll just be a little tighter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i have a 95 L which probably has a tcs. I understand the point that the tcs is built into the intake which is making in the aftermarket intake to stick out too much. if i was to cut the pipe at the bend, the pipe would not have a sharp enough bend to clear the powersteering tank. And if i cut the other end of the intake, the filter would not fit on the end because there is an outlet comming from the main intake tube and it is butt up against the filter.

G

·
If you have an L Coupe you should not have TCS. It's dark but I have my RM on my 95 L Coupe. I'll take pics tommrow for you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ok i think i have the idea now. just one more question, In the picture, where is that light blue hose on the bottom of the intake going to. i cant really tell from the picture. i just want a clean install, i dont like to half ass jobs just to get itparts to fit my car. ;)

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Livin_Legend95 said:
yea i have a 95 L which probably has a tcs. I understand the point that the tcs is built into the intake which is making in the aftermarket intake to stick out too much. if i was to cut the pipe at the bend, the pipe would not have a sharp enough bend to clear the powersteering tank. And if i cut the other end of the intake, the filter would not fit on the end because there is an outlet comming from the main intake tube and it is butt up against the filter.
You 95 L does not have TCS.
Only Legends with TCS are the 93-95 LS coupes and 94-95 GS sedan.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: .

Livin_Legend95 said:
ok i think i have the idea now. just one more question, In the picture, where is that light blue hose on the bottom of the intake going to. i cant really tell from the picture. i just want a clean install, i dont like to half ass jobs just to get itparts to fit my car. ;)
On the stock intake, when you took it out, the intake consists of the resonator box, the intake itself (with 4 holes). The 4th hole is sitting facing the radiator where another resonator box sits. The biggest of all the hoses attaches to that piece. With your new intake, that resonator box doesn't need to be there. Therefore that hose will be cut the most (in length), since it doesn't need to stretch under the intake itself like the OEM does.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll try to attach a photo of my RM Racing intake on my 1994 GS. Maybe it'll help you to see mine. I've looked at a lot of other Legends with aftermarket intakes and most looked a lot more half-a$$ed than mine, IMHO. Questions? E-mail me if you'd like.

Eric S.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea i finally installed the intake and it looks just about like yours, but i took out that bracket with the 3 metal tubes that connected to the factory intake and ran straight tubing to the aftermarket intake. i looped the coolant hose comming from the throttle body and bypassed the metal tubing back to the throttle body instead of coming over the intake like how you did. The intake sounds great over 3500 and **** does she run now. Thanks for all the help, i will have pics soon!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
schindelbeck said:
I'll try to attach a photo of my RM Racing intake on my 1994 GS. Maybe it'll help you to see mine. I've looked at a lot of other Legends with aftermarket intakes and most looked a lot more half-a$$ed than mine, IMHO. Questions? E-mail me if you'd like.

Eric S.
One more question. Where did you connect the outlet on the bottom of the intake to? The picture isnt clear enough to see, but i think i hooked it to the right thing. i hooked it up to the old resonator box tubing. is that correct?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hose Routing

The hose with the 90 degree elbow connects the outlet on the bottom of the intake to the hard tube by the throttle body. That is the hose you see looped around the intake itself. I tried routing it underneath the intake and it got pinched.

The larger vent hose connects between the outlet near the filter end of the intake and the intake manifold hard port (which runs perpendicular to the long axis of the car. I think this is visible in the photo too.

If you'd like me to e-mail you a larger version of this photo, let me know, it may show things more clearly. I was restricted in the size photo this web site would let me attach.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.