Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can this be done for a Legend? Is it a matter of having someone design one or is it impossible to fit? A roots blower of this type would give mad low-end torque. The only fitting issues I could see are intake setup and hood clearence.

Attachments

·
Registered
851 Posts
Nick, actually I was thinking the same thing like you. I will put it on the passanger side of the engine bay, not in the middle. Of course you need to gut the hood, and need to make the cover. But I think it is do-able, not that difficult at all. Just need to know the max rpm of the supercharger, max engine rpm, pulley size, that's all. All the plumbing is pretty easy I would say. Maybe you want to be the first one who cut your hood to accomodate supercharger, hehehee...................

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well a roots blower gets mounted in place of the air intake. You will need to have it custom made to match the ports on the heads. The plumbing and pully work is a matter of fiddling around to get something to fit.

·
Registered
851 Posts
So Nick, you're thinking about custom made another intake manifold? because if me, I just put the outlet from the supercharger to the legend stock intake. This design is used by I think Pontiac Grand Prix or that kind of stuff. It should be doable, but don't know. hehehee..........

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well a routes type blower bolts directly in place of your current intake. It's the way that type of supercharger works... I also think it's the easiest to hook up with the least amount of modifications under the hood. The things is you just need to get the blower mounted to your heads properly. Once this is done desigining and intake and setting up the pooly system is almost trivial.

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My hardon with the roots type blower over the other type is torque. Roots blowers produce tons of low-end torque, something our engines are missing :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
That could be done, but you'll need some $$$!!!

You'll need the custom eaton-roots type blower (eaton makes them, roots is the type). Yes, the intake manifold is replaced by either on which is intergral to the blower, or, one that has a plate on top made for mounting either a blower or carbs (thats how the domestic types usually do it). Then you'll need to handle the intake plumbing, moving the throttle body (and its linkage, including the cruise control gear). Plus you have to set up the pully...not so easy on the front of a type-II motor. Then, to do it properly, you should upgrade the injectors, fine-tune the gap for the plugs, get a custom chip for the ecu, replace the head gasket with something stonger that also decreases the compression. ETC...

I've definately missed some things too! Conclusion: not worth it on a front wheel drive luxo car.

·
Premium Member
9,167 Posts
Alexander said:
So Nick, you're thinking about custom made another intake manifold? because if me, I just put the outlet from the supercharger to the legend stock intake. This design is used by I think Pontiac Grand Prix or that kind of stuff. It should be doable, but don't know. hehehee..........
What brand are you looking into? RMS makes one for the ///M3's that looks fairly easy to work with. Just some advice :D

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't given it any real serious thought. Just another idea I am tossing around. I think this type of supercharger is more feasible then other types. Problems we seem to have is fitting a supercharger under the hood. This seems like the most compact idea. Rerouting the intake, and throttle is not extemely difficutly. Everything else that needs to be done is pretty much the same thing you would have to do with any form of forced induction.

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
A roots supercharger is the best option. Look at what all the top-fuel drag racers have! With it being mounted on top of the engine the hood would have to be modified ( F550 hood scoup (bada44 & my idea)), or remove it. This is something I am seriously looking at. I plan on startin next winter. I know I cant have it ready for NOPI this year, so it's on hold. Yes there is a lot of oter little things that have to be done to properly use the supercharger, and not blow your engine. You are talking some $$$ and time, but man wont that be fat! Who says there is a limit on FWD cars. I can find drive shafts for our cars made to hold over 500 HP. I don't think those would not exist if there was no point in doing it.
Later!
Lee

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
sleeprlegendcp said:
A roots supercharger is the best option. Look at what all the top-fuel drag racers have! With it being mounted on top of the engine the hood would have to be modified ( F550 hood scoup (bada44 & my idea)), or remove it. This is something I am seriously looking at. I plan on startin next winter. I know I cant have it ready for NOPI this year, so it's on hold. Yes there is a lot of oter little things that have to be done to properly use the supercharger, and not blow your engine. You are talking some $$$ and time, but man wont that be fat! Who says there is a limit on FWD cars. I can find drive shafts for our cars made to hold over 500 HP. I don't think those would not exist if there was no point in doing it.
Later!
Lee
if our whips are FWD how could we have drive shafts???? thats for RWD?????

·
Registered
9,142 Posts
Driveshaft
they make custom (Legend), and prelude. Isn't the prelude fwd? They also have a lot for other FWD cars. I grew up with Stangs, so I still think like a drag racer. That and my horrible memory makes me slip up on the propor names for parts. Please pardon me in advance.
Later!
Lee

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if our whips are FWD how could we have drive shafts???? thats for RWD?????
We have a drive shaft coming from the tranny to the diff.

Where a normal RWD driveshaft would be we have two gears meshing together, on the second gear is a driveshaft that runs fowards towards the engine into the diff. Wish I had a picture to explain it.

Those two gears are why we have such strange gear ratios in our diff. Normal gear ratios would be like 3.15:1 to 2.85:1, we have, I THINK 1.5:1 because of this. With the gearing from the tranny/driveshaft connection it end up equalling out to something normal, I can't remember what it is exactly off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
NickD said:

We have a drive shaft coming from the tranny to the diff.

isn't that the CV axel/joint??

·
Banned
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No, your thinking of the the wheel axel that goes from the diff to the wheel itself. Going in reverse you have your wheel hub, which has connected to it your outter C/V joint, connected to that is your axel, which connects to the inner C/V join. That C/V joint connects into the diff and the diff makes it's connection to the transmission via a driveshaft.
Code:
(a)
-----
  |(b)
  |        ---|(f)        front of car that way
  |___________|(e)     <-----------------------
  O(c)  (d)
  |
-----
Ok, lets see if this works.:)

A) Tire/wheel hub
B) drive shaft with C/V joints
C) Differential
D) Drive shaft
E) gear at the end of the drive shaft
F) gear at the end of the tranny meshing with the drive shaft.

F turns E which turns D giving power to C which inturn distributes the power to B and thus into A.
I hope my cheesy ASCII helped :)

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Good stuff Nick yet another insightful post, your getting good at this

1 - 20 of 21 Posts