Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up? i was told today at a local mechanic that my two front rotors are bad and need to be replaced. He quoted me $70 apiece for some Precision rotors. Doesnt that seem kinda steep? anybody know the best place to get some new rotors? thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
i go t my cross drilled/slotted brembo rotor from a group buy about a year ago for $100ea. that;s some thing to compare it to.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Acurate420 said:
Whats up? i was told today at a local mechanic that my two front rotors are bad and need to be replaced. He quoted me $70 apiece for some Precision rotors. Doesnt that seem kinda steep? anybody know the best place to get some new rotors? thanks.
Although $70 a peice is relatively cheap comparing to OEM rotors ($200 apeice). you can get all 4 drill/slotted rotors for $230+shipping from Mr. Wood at raceconcepts, which would be cheaper and better.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Acurate420 said:
How do i get ahold of Mr. Woods? does he only sell 4 at a time, or will he cut a deal on only 2 rotors for now? thanks.
Do a search on Raceconcept or Wood or x-drilled/slotted rotors, I'm sure you'll get plenty of posts mentioning his contact info and their experience with his rotors. I'm pretty sure he will sell you 2.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Re: Re: Rotor help

Mr. Wood no longer sells X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors. He has switched to the new trend of Slotted/Dimpled Rotors, which have holes the size of the X-Drilled, but aren't drilled all the way through.

The likeliness of cracking x-drilled/slotted rotors is dependent on the 3rd Party Manufacturer used to X-Drill and/or Slot the rotors. So, I am guessing, the last few sets he has had, he has had some complaints, so that's one reason for the switch.

I think also he is manufacturing his own sets now, buying OEM Brembo Rotors (either Slotted already or just plain OEM) and then dimpling the rotors himself.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
rockshox72 said:
Yeah, Legend OEM rotors are all ripoff and really poor quality and performance compared to what you can get w/ brembos. Get some good pads to break them rotors in as well.
ROCKSHOX72 - I heard that OEM rotors are either made by Nissin or AEM from our Legends. I'd but Nissin, since they make the majority of OEM Japanese Rotors in Japan. So, I wouldn't say OEM rotors suck, but given the braking effort and the amount of gross weight in our cars, the rotors aren't big enough to handle the stress, that's for sure.

assmaster said:
what pads are you guys using? and where did you purchase them and how much? is there anything else that is routinely replaced when changing rotors and pads?
ASSMASTER - No, unless it is about that time to bleed the brake fluid. I think Brake Fluid is supposed to be changed every 15,000 miles. I believe they do it at every major service, since every 15K will run into the 30K, 60K, and 90K services. The pads I use are PBR (same company as Axxis) Metal Masters. I have put 15K miles on my PBR Metal Master pads and they still have 60% life in'em with my X-Drilled/Slotted Rotors. Whereas, the OEM pads that were put on the rear (from the dealer by the previous owner) are at 40% wear, given they have 5K more miles than my fronts, I'd say that the PBRs are much more decent than the Nissin OEM Pads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts