Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
=) pertinent question and big HELLO

What can expect from my crossdrilled/slotted Brembo rotors?

Another post mentions nominal noise from the rear rotors.

I haven't installed them yet...so any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

is there a substantially advantageous function stemming from the dimpled rotors whcih I hear so little about?

BTW, I just loooove you guys here @ the forum but I know squat about Legend mods and electrical....(learnin from you guys slowly but surely)..
Vert different from working on a CRX...

Thanks for your replies...

g2girl
(CHiBi)
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
Well, the holes do two things. They lighten the rotor lessening the rotational wheel mass, and they vent some of the gasses that build between the surface of the rotor and the pads during hard braking. The downside is that they do shorten the rotor life somewhat. The slots are a much better feature for street vehicles if you have to choose between the two. They serve as "sweepers" to clean the pads as they are applied. This prevents that glaze from appearing on the rotor, while allowing for more consistent braking distances. Overall the Brembo rotors are a really great upgrade to any braking system. Iwould also highly recommend stainless steel braided brake lines. Goodrige is the best. They dramatically lessen the 'squishy' feeling associated with the stock rubber lines giving you better pedal feedback and solid brake response.
 

·
Blk/BlkGS6
Joined
·
1,753 Posts
here was mr Wood's reply to one of my emails:

I have it in stock. $230.00 plus shipping. If you are buying irotors your will make a big mistake. Their rotors are unplated, which will rust the minute you get water on the rotors, I guarantee you that. Their rotors are also unbalanced.

Give me a call and I'll tell you how it is unbalance. Just give me a call,
I'll work something out for you.

Thanks Wood
(714) 547-3581

i called him and he explained in detail also the difference between dimple- and cross- drilled rotors...............he sounded kind of boring so i wasnt really paying attention, so i cant really explain it to you:) but basically he said that cross-drilled will eventually crack and warp, while dimple drilled will never...........

hope this helps you:)
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
LEgEnD4LiFe said:


i called him and he explained in detail also the difference between dimple- and cross- drilled rotors...............he sounded kind of boring so i wasnt really paying attention, so i cant really explain it to you:) but basically he said that cross-drilled will eventually crack and warp, while dimple drilled will never...........

hope this helps you:)
While I might agree that cross drilling can lead to warping and cracking, I don't feel that they all will end up cracking. I know people that used them for years with no problems at all.

Also, If dimpled rotors will never warp, than why does solid rotors warp? Any rotor can warp under the right conditions, slotted, drilled, solid, or dimpled.
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
Most often warpage occurs after hard braking when you come to a complete stop and don't rotate the wheels any further for a few hours. When the rotor is extremely hot and part of it is behind the brake pads, the rest of the exposed surface cools at a different rate causing it to expand and contract unevenly. It doesn't matter if the rotor is slotted, drilled solid, or vented. The metal still needs to cool evenly.

As for the rust, it doesn't matter. Take a look at your stock cast rotors after it rains. You will see rust spots all over the place. The plating process is not done to prevent rust, but to increase the life of the rotor by providing a harder surface for the pads to ride on. After a plated rotor that has warped is turned (cut down to even it out), the plating is removed causing it to wear much more rapidly. Stock rotors aren't plated anyways, so it doesn't matter. But most racers never turn their rotors because of this. When they warp, they throw them away and get new ones.

Dimpled rotors really don't give you an advantage over drilled rotors. Both designs supply an air pocket for the gasses to escape, but the dimpled rotor is heavier and probably a bit stronger. But you don't often hear of a rotor breaking apart so I don't see the advantages to dimpled over cross-drilled. Mr Wood is making a sales pitch, a poorly written one at that. I don't even know where he is going with the unbalanced stuff because you can't balance a rotor like a wheel. Cross-drilling and slotting rotors are industry standard methods for a reason. They work.

so g2girl, I noticed that you are also looking for installation tips? It's a pretty straightforward procedure. Just make sure you have the right tools. You will likely need an impact driver to remove the two centering screws that hold the rotors to the hubs. Other than that it just requires regular metric sockets and a ratchet to pull the calipers off. Although those suckers can get pretty tight so it would be good to have a 18-24" breaker bar handy to loosen the bolts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,292 Posts
Bread said:


As for the rust, it doesn't matter. Take a look at your stock cast rotors after it rains. You will see rust spots all over the place. The plating process is not done to prevent rust, but to increase the life of the rotor by providing a harder surface for the pads to ride on. After a plated rotor that has warped is turned (cut down to even it out), the plating is removed causing it to wear much more rapidly. Stock rotors aren't plated anyways, so it doesn't matter. But most racers never turn their rotors because of this. When they warp, they throw them away and get new ones.

Hmmm I might have to disagree. I thought the whole point of plating WAS to prevent rust in the areas where the pad is not in contact with the rotor.
 

·
Sleek And Low
Joined
·
249 Posts
Blo said:

Hmmm I might have to disagree. I thought the whole point of plating WAS to prevent rust in the areas where the pad is not in contact with the rotor.
Do your stock rotors look all rusty? No. And the only place where the pad does not contact the rotor is inside the vents where you can't see anyways. The rest is cleaned off by the pads or hidden behind the wheel. I've never seen a rotor rusted beyond repair. It doesn't happen. Plating is for performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought from irotors...I have not installed them yet...so they are not plated? Am I making a big mistake by keeping them?
What is the difference between plated and unplated?

I feel a little scared to put those rotors on my car now.....

Thanks
 

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
Joined
·
4,926 Posts
g2girl said:
I bought from irotors...I have not installed them yet...so they are not plated? Am I making a big mistake by keeping them?
What is the difference between plated and unplated?

I feel a little scared to put those rotors on my car now.....

Thanks
There is no significant difference between a plated and non plated. If you take your OEM rotors, you will see that when it gets wet, there is usually a light coat of rust on the rotor. Just as well, all the parts that don't contact the pad is usually rusty as well right? Well, a plated rotor protects all those parts that don't come into contact with the pad from rusting. Even if you get a plated rotor, the pad will eventually wear off all the plating in the area that contacts the pad, so that part will rust just like any rotor. The difference is cosmetic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Bread said:
Most often warpage occurs after hard braking when you come to a complete stop and don't rotate the wheels any further for a few hours.
Gotta add my 2cents.

I find most warping occurs when boneheads wash their cars after heavy driving/braking.:D

I bought my rotors in the groupbuy a couple years ago from Elvis.
When I rec'd them, the fronts came plated, and the rears were not.
He would not reply to email/phone calls :mad: ... that's another story.

I got them nickel plated here in TO and they are starting to show some rust now.
I will sand them and paint the exposed parts gloss black like my calipers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
where is the best place to get brembo cross drilled + slotted rotors w/ cad plating?

I'm in the market for all 4.

HOLLA!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
158 Posts
I would check with Mr Wood. If you do a search, you should be able to find his contact number and website.

I am thinking about buying some from him...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,036 Posts
G Rahn said:
The ones from Mr. wood are zinc plated, not cad plated.
The greenish gold of the cad plate would've looked better in my app.- the zincs are bright silver.
What's Mr. Wood's contact info ?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top