Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a bit cooler here now (-12 degrees Celsius ..about +10 degrees F)... this morning I was letting the engine warm up a bit on my 90LS while I scraped the ice and snow off the windows ...and I noticed a very strong gasoline smell from the exhaust. I had changed the o-rings on the injectors this past summer (they were not visibily leaking) because of a gas smell at the front of the car ...now I'm wondering if the fuel mixture is way too rich. Any way to adjust that???

· Registered
638 Posts
i dont really think your running rich, running rich would mean alot of fuel is being burned, i think your problem is the fuel just isnt bring burned at all if its actually comming from the exhaust. is your car vibrating or losing power. does the smell go away after its heated up? because the colder the engine the more rich it will run. also check for any leaks on the ground under the entire car after its been sitting for a while.

if it is from the exhaust i think you have a dead cylinder or a missfire.

· Registered
2,038 Posts
okay if you went out, started her up, and while shes was running you scrape off the ice and while your doing this you smell it running rich.
when a engine is cold the mixture is gonna be rich till it reaches within the normal range.

but if you started it up ran it for about 10-15minutes and then go out to start scraping the ice....
it's probably time for a tune up......

but then damn 10* ....

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
..no, don't get the gas smell when the engine is warm. No vibrating or losing power ...no leaks. So, I guess everything is just normal then. I usually keep the car in my unheated garage, and don't often "warm it up" before I drive away, so that's likely why I didn't notice the gas smell before.
Thanks guys.

Hey ....cancerman: on your signature, you say your car has a "coolant bypass" ....what's that???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.