Acura Legend Forum banner

Running your OEM foglights during the day (without needing to turn on your lights)

15K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  bravo659 
#1 ·
Well guys, I finally figured it out and actually did it!

I can turn on my fog lights WITHOUT having the headlights on! It looks just like the Audis now with their daytime running fog lamps! I also wired it up such that when I turn off my ignition, it will turn off the fog lights too (so that you dont' forget htem on).

These are great for daytime running lights. Thanks to Edgar for providing me with the wiring diagram!

Anyways, I know some of you guys now want some details and here they are:

1) Remove your lower dash (which is under the steering wheel). It is held with on ly 3 bolts, 1 is where you pop your hood, the 2nd is all the way to the right underneath and the last one is BEHIND the foglight, dimmer and TCS (if you have an LS model) siwtch assembly, thus you must remove those switches (which is really easy through the notch on the bottom).

2) Locate the fog light relay which should be connected with a 4 pin connector. Remove this 4 pin connector. YOu will see on the connector that there is a White wire going into the connector, and another white wire bridging two pins together. Cut the white wire that is bridging the two pins. Strip the part that goes into its own individual pin. Find a good "accessory" source of power and run a wire to that white wire from it. Elec tape them.

3) Now go to the wire harness that plugs into hte switch. There will be two BLUE/RED wires. CUT the THINNER one of the two. Strip the portion that goes into the switch and run that one directoy to ground.

Electrical tape it all up and away you go!

The only thing that you lose now is when your car is OFF and you turn on your lights, your fog lights don't turn on. Not really an important issue for everyone I would think. But I will try to figure out what else I can do. When your car is ON though, youc an still run your lights and foglights together like always but the beautiful part is when you turn off your lights, your fogs are still ON :D Of course you can even turn them off still by the switch.

I'm attatching the modified wiring diagram to give you guys a picture of what I did.

I'd be glad to answer questions.

G

See less See more
#2 ·
G,

Try using a relay so that when you do turn on the lights it'll activeate the fogs too. I mean all you need is a relay that has two sources, one for the accessory (so when your lights are off the fogs are on) and the other for the light switch (so that when your ligts are on your fogs are on also.) Use the Light switch to activeate the relay. --=Keith

#4 ·
If you look on top of the fuses in the Cabin fuse box, you'll see some metal male plugs sticking out, one of those should be activated by the accessory position on the ignition. --=Keith

#6 ·
im going crazy every acessory i hook the fog lights up to works fine except when i start the car the fog relay clicks then shuts off . So they work in position 1,2 on the ignition then whne u start the car the foglights flick on then off and stay off why????? i tryed so many acessories the cig lighter, the acessory space (i finally found) why are they doing this?????

#7 ·
All the accessory power in the car resets when you turn the car on, even the radio. If you have your radio on when the key is in the 1 or 2 position, the radio will turn off and then back on again. That's the reason for the flickering, but I don't know why they stay off, maybe it's a protection in the relay triggering or something. Why not just wire the fogs to the constant lit bulb in the corner light. It'll light up when you turn the headlight switch to 1. You can still have them on with the car off. I don't know how else you can do it.

#11 ·
Roger said:
ya i guess thats true but how would i do that without haveing to go through the firewall? i'd rather have them work withouth the parking lights i would really like to know where godfather wired them to.
Could he have possibly ran the lights to the DRL (day time running lights) that are standard on the Canadian models. Those lights turn on with the ignition and off when you shut off the car. I don't know though.

#12 ·
Probably not on the DRL, since when you turn on your headlights, the DRL go off, and I would assume the fogs would also go off.

You should be able to use a lead off of the ignition switch to your relay.

#14 ·
Roger! I'm really sorry for leaving you hanging like that!

I actually ran into the same problem and figured out the solution but forgot to post it here. I'm sorry for that man.

The accessory source is not the problem for them turning off. Use whatever strong accessory source you were using before.

It seems like the headlight relay is causing funny things to happen, therefore the solution to that is to get the R/W wire in the diagram that is running between the headlight relay and the fog light relay, and BYPASS the headlight relay completely (so it goes straight to the foglight itself).

I have not done this yet, but through studying the diagram, this is where the cause of this hapenning. I will try this hopefuly over the weekend and let you know how it works out.

BTW.. i am no longer using my DRLs as my DRL control module was messed and I decided to unplug it and I re-wired my hi-beams to match the wiring diagram for the US spec Legends.

I prefer to have my foglights act as my DRLs.

G

#16 ·
UPDATE!!

Ok, I confirmed my theory in my previous post and it works perfect!

Bypass the HEADLIGHT relay (the BIG relay) by CUTTING the RED/WHITE wire and the BLUE/RED wire that go into this relay. JOIN these two wires together on the ends that are no longer atatched to the relay (therefore bypassing hte relay).

As for accessory source, I just took out my centre consol wood piece and splice into the WHITE/BLACK wire that goes into my cigarette lighter.

This works like a charm.

I will try and get a diagram with the headlight relay bypassed.

This should solve your problems Roger and I apologize for not addressing this problem earlier.

G

#17 ·
This Won't Work Right!!!!!!

Just want to let you all know that there is a problem with Godfather's wiring. He said that he has figured it out but I haven't heard of the solution from him yet. If you do this, your foglights will QUIT WORKING after some time. Read my thread >> http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53551

Thanks,
Pasha95GS

theGodfather said:
Ok, I confirmed my theory in my previous post and it works perfect!

Bypass the HEADLIGHT relay (the BIG relay) by CUTTING the RED/WHITE wire and the BLUE/RED wire that go into this relay. JOIN these two wires together on the ends that are no longer atatched to the relay (therefore bypassing hte relay).

As for accessory source, I just took out my centre consol wood piece and splice into the WHITE/BLACK wire that goes into my cigarette lighter.

This works like a charm.

I will try and get a diagram with the headlight relay bypassed.

This should solve your problems Roger and I apologize for not addressing this problem earlier.

G

#19 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.