Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winters coming, and here in Canada, most crews salt and sand the roads. This is hell for any car, espcially the imports, and especially our Legends. I want to use a rustproofing oil of some kind for all prone areas of my car. I have a little rust starting by the fuel door, and a couple areas are also bubbling. I want to try to slow the rusting process down for as long as I can. Can someone guide me in the right direction for buying rustproofing oil, or grease, or something.. :bowdown: thanx!!

· LEGENDARY MEMBER
1,726 Posts
There is no stopping it, it spreads like cancer. What you're looking for is a garage.

· Registered
638 Posts
first of all, wash your car as often as possible if there is any salt on the roads, if your paint is bad consider getting a new paint job to prevent rust in other areas.
any parts that are damaged you need to sand off completley to stop the spreading, make sure all surfaces are free from dirt,dust or oil from fingerprints before applying anything to it. if there are any holes or deformitys of the metal you can use some bondo to fill them, then seal it in with spray paint to match the color then a clear coat type rust inhibitor spray. any parts that are non visible like tire wells and other things you can get a tar like undercoat spray at most auto stores or wal-mart if you have one. just make sure you use about 5 very thin coats of the rust inhibitor to keep it smooth and strong

i wouldnt reccomend getting cheap bondo, paint or sealer because if one goes bad it will mess up the others

· Registered
821 Posts
Having owned 2 canadian legends I can tell you there are a few areas to be sure to pressure wash regularly as the exact same areas have rust on both my sedans. Nothing beats a weekend of grinding, bondoing and painting though.

Rust is the worst around:
all 4 fenders
gas door
bottom edge of trunk/rear lights
front edge of the hood
Top of the firewall (this is critical-safety/inspection issue)

Hope this helps

BP

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.