Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am having a problem with my legend, my buddy borrowed it and I think he screwed up the tranny. The car starts in normal drive, but then after about a minite the s3 light on the dash starts to flast green and it is very consistant. The car feels like its almost missing one of its speeds, or is that just in my head? Anyway if any one can shed any light on this id be forever grateful.

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,474 Posts
the flashing of the S3 means there is a code in the TCU. the TCU is located under the passenger seat. what you'll need to do is get someone to turn the key to the "on" position (do not start the car) and you lean into the back and look under the passenger seat. i believe you have to lift a little panel door, and it will expose a light. count the number of blinks from the light and refer to murderotica's post.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
the led is already exsposed.
just (may sound crazy) get on a highway stop in the break down lane then take off.
you should have 4 gears and a t/c lock up.
the t/c lock you may not feel so you should look at you rpm gauge for that...which will look as if you have 5 gears.

goodluck.

btw, you have a 90 auto?how many miles?

man those are the most reliable out of the 1st gen legends.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about 260,000 km on it, shes getting old. What will pulling over on the highway and doing that accomplish?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
well i'm sayin start off on the highway so you can see/feel all of the gears and the t/c lock.
that way you'll know if your slippin or if the shifts feel the same or worse after you let your friend use it.

mines lasted 230,000miles.
i'm pretty sure the tranny would've lasted if i would've been a lil bit smater with her....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I just got the car about 8months ago and the tranny was already pretty much toast. I do try and take as best care of it as I can but I have limited resources so ya.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I finally got around to counting the light and it was flashing 9times, so what action should I take next? I am on a tight budget so I will most likely have to attempt to fix it on my own if I can. If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it. Thanks

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts
TCU Code 9 = "9 Counter shaft or transmission speed pulse generator open or shorted."

Speed Pulser is at the trans end of the speedometer cable.
see THIS Forum Link

Not sure the distiction between this Code 9 and a Code 4, however.
Maybe someone else can provide some info.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i noticed the car is missing 4th gear to, because the engine revs at like 3.3 when i am going 115km/h on freeway

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
i noticed the car is missing 4th gear to, because the engine revs at like 3.3 when i am going 115km/h on freeway
No, that's about right, just a little high... that's right around 72mph. My auto runs 3k RPM at 78 mph...
Without fourth you'd be sitting somewhere around 5k-6k at that speed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it use to rev alot lower, it gets alot worse gas milage now. its more at about 3.7 actually not 3.2, it use to rev at like 2.5 for about the same speed, if anyone has any ideas on what to do pleae dont be shy, thanks.

·
Mo*or Mo**h
1,722 Posts
Here's what the '87 Coupe manual says.

TCU Code 9:

Symptom: Lock-up Clutch Does Not Engage

Probable Cause: Disconnected A/T Speed Pulser, Open or Short in A/T Speed Pulser Wire, or, Faulty A/T Speed Pulser

It then references the troubleshooting flow chart on page 14-34

In general, the Grey wire is the one which may be shorted or open, if that's the problem. Otherwise, it tends to point to the A/T Speed Pulser failure.

To test the A/T Speed Pulser, it states to apply Parking Brake, Block Rear Wheels and jack up the front of the car. Disconnect the 2P connector on the A/T Speed Pulser and test for alternating continuity between the two poles when wheels are spun.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
oh trust me you'll know when your tranny is slipping in 4th.
what your more than likely dealing with is the lack of the t/c locking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts