Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Svc Mgr
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tryin to decide if i should go with an apexi safc or just get my ecu chipped. i know if not tuned right the safc can cause serious issues. which will net more power? reliability issues with either? any comments or experienced advice is helpful

·
Type II King
1,230 Posts
lol i dunno if i agree with you on the whole afc thing, they are great but you dont need one unless you have extensive mods.. the computer on our car is smart enough to adjust our air and fuel no problem even with mods. I currently have a apexi afc and honestly i dont even need it, even though i have quite a few engine mods. However, if your gonna use nitrous, i would definitely recommend one. Since your just looking for an easy hp gain, i would recommend getting your ecu chipped over getting an afc.

·
difficult to kill
710 Posts
i just put nitrous in my legend but havent ran it yet ,should i get the safc? and i know nothing about tunning,
oh how i worry for your car please please dont blow it up :bowdown:

·
Type II King
1,230 Posts
i just put nitrous in my legend but havent ran it yet ,should i get the safc? and i know nothing about tunning,
unless ur running a small shot, i would definitely recommend getting a safc and a tune so you run the nitrous safely

·
Svc Mgr
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i got the afc for $100, instead of the chip only because after repeated attempts i wasnt able to contact my local guy for chipping. if he reads this and has future business interest, as always, hit me up. the afc goes in hopefully this weekend after i get done fixing everyone elses cars, ugh then off to wideband tuning. dont have extensive mods, but im hoping to see at least a small gain. even if only 5hp it'd make the 100 worth it, now just hoping i dont lean it out and destroy anything.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
We used to need an AFC a lot more than now especially for 3.5 swappers. Now that Telion and SR5guy can custom tailor chips for applications, the afc is just there for those who want to fine tune and extract all possible power. A dyno and wideband is needed however.

Start with a chip.

~Dv8

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
922 Posts
+1 DV8

I wouldn't band-aid tune with an SAFC if you've got the chips at your disposal. From my own experience I'd say let somebody with experience burn you a chip and then take that $100 SAFC to the dyno and make some fine tuning adjustments. While this isn't the cheapest route, it is probably going to net you the highest possible gains at a reasonable expense.

I'm with the other guys...that's a scary combo there. You should definitely know something about tuning before you bravely hit the button the first (possibly last) time. Did you install colder spark plugs? If it is a wet kit, did you jet according to your factory fuel pressure? If it is a dry kit, did you make sure that the vacuum lines between the FPR, nitrous kit, and intake manifold were properly routed and clamped into place? This is just a start.

A blown head gasket may be in your near future without due caution, and that's the good news.

:rofl: :rofl: "Amateurs don't use nitrous oxide, I've seen the way you drive, you've got a heavy foot, you'll blow yourself to pieces..." :rofl: :rofl:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.