Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously now, folks. What's with people? Why get overly defensive and bark at someone who is trying to help?

So you have told me your plan, and I give you my opinion, or give you a suggestion, that does not mean I jumped down your throat.

When you have an idea of what you want to do, and I express concern for your safety and suggest an alternate solution, this also does not mean I jumped down your throat.

When you've barked at me over and over again while I am trying to help, and I finally say, just be careful, think it over, do the research, etc, once again, this does not mean I jumped down your throat.

Perhaps urging caution and research or even a different idea will not produce caution or research or the use of the different idea, but one thing I know is that it should not produce is hostility. Getting pissed off and cursing and such is a perfect way to tell the person that you'd rather not hear anything from them at all. If that's the case, then don't bloody tell me your plans in the first place, ok?

I've said my piece. This is not a thread that needs replies, but if you feel the need, please go ahead.

·
what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
it's very hard to tell emotion via text...communication is always key, and sometimes to belabor a point electronically, it takes careful consideration when typing one's thoughts.....

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
946 Posts
I still like Dv8s take on it

As Ive said in the past:

Dont talk about it, do it and do it right. Then post the outcome.
Of course I say if you come asking for help, be prepared to receive it with much humility, because nobody likes to help a pompous jackass. Plus if you post about something, especially before you've done it, you must realize this is an open forum where we discuss things. So if you can't stand to be told that we don't like your choices and/or that you'd be safer in a padded room somewhere instead of near a car...then you probably should take Dv8s advice.

·
Banned
14,938 Posts
I still like Dv8s take on it

Of course I say if you come asking for help, be prepared to receive it with much humility, because nobody likes to help a pompous jackass. Plus if you post about something, especially before you've done it, you must realize this is an open forum where we discuss things. So if you can't stand to be told that we don't like your choices and/or that you'd be safer in a padded room somewhere instead of near a car...then you probably should take Dv8s advice.
But what if you didn't come "asking for help" rather sharing what your planning on doing. Not asking someone to tell you how it could be done otherwise, when you already know it can be done otherwise, you are just doing it in a certain way, for w/e the reasons are.

kotetu said:
When you have an idea of what you want to do, and I express concern for your safety and suggest an alternate solution, this also does not mean I jumped down your throat.
offering a non-cost effective, complex alternative solution to a Simple problem, with a VERY functional, simple and cost effective solution for the problem at hand, while offering in a manner being that your way is totally wrong [simple way] and complex way is the only way to go.

kotetu said:
concern for your safety
It was more totally shooting down the thoughts and idea's brought upon, with out first examining way of improving the original idea, instead of completely shitting on it.

This does=jumping down someones throat IMHO.

or maybe you just missed understood the idea in the first place and although are trying to help aren't exactly helping at all.

12345 Posts BTW <<<<

·
what!
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm sure I was using the following definition...

Main Entry:
1kill Listen to the pronunciation of 1kill
Pronunciation:
\ˈkil\
Function:
verb
Etymology:
Middle English, perhaps from Old English *cyllan; akin to Old English cwellan to kill - more at quell
Date:
14th century

transitive verb
1 a: to deprive of life : cause the death of b (1): to slaughter (as a hog) for food (2): to convert a food animal into (a kind of meat) by slaughtering
2 a: to put an end to <kill competition> b: defeat, veto <killed the amendment> c: to mark for omission; also : delete d: annihilate, destroy <kill an enemy>
3 a: to destroy the vital or essential quality of <killed the pain with drugs> b: to cause to stop <kill the motor> c: to check the flow of current through
4: to make a markedly favorable impression on <she killed the audience>
5: to get through uneventfully <kill time>; also : to get through (the time of a penalty) without being scored on <kill a penalty>
6 a: to cause extreme pain to b: to tire almost to the point of collapse
7: to hit (a shot) so hard in various games that a return is impossible
8: to consume (as a drink) totally
intransitive verb
1: to deprive one of life
2: to make a markedly favorable impression <was dressed to kill>

·
Life Ruiner
4,868 Posts
Sorry to see you’re frustrated.

I learned a while back to dispense advice privately. If my advice is questioned to a degree that I feel is more than I feel I should have to explain, I kindly bow out. People can say whatever they want; I’m in the personal business of doing.

Asking for help or advise; Keep it private or take what little you get in public and leave it at that. Pure negativity/stupidity should be ignored. Also, try not to assume or speculate much. Everyone’s opinions will vary drastically, if you get too caught up imposing your will or trying to justify your reasoning, you get lost too.
The only time you truly learn the answers to questions is if you teach or experience it yourself.

I enforce standards, but only a couple clear-cut ones. I will use historical data and common sense to determine the outcome; otherwise I try it and figure it out for myself. There are a few people around here who I greatly value their opinion, privately.

Nobody is perfect, especially online where there are few consequences for your actions. All we can do it try.

~Dv8

·
Find Em Fuck Em Forget Em
946 Posts
But what if you didn't come "asking for help" rather sharing what your planning on doing. Not asking someone to tell you how it could be done otherwise, when you already know it can be done otherwise, you are just doing it in a certain way, for w/e the reasons are.
Well then nobody should tell you to run off and die but adding a suggestion isn't off the mark at all. I wish more people took the time to post in threads they could help in and less that they should stay out of, but that doesn't change the simple fact if you post it, they will come. If you don't post it, then nobody will get in your thread and piss in your cornflakes.

I know I don't want to be a member of a forum where everybody is just jerking one another off, about what they're gonna do.

I'm here to push the envelope, into some fool's eye, like a wicked papercut. :yes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.