Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an email back from Bayou about the Stage 2 chip.
I have a 94L Sedan, and wanted the chip. He said the 200HP Type I redline will remain the same, where the Type II 230HP would be raised to 7500RPM
Now, I like higher RPMs, and I thought there were just small differences in the Type I and II.
I have a Greddy, Intake, etc.. and I would really like to raise my redline. If I told him to use the chip for the Type II, would that screw something up since mine is a Type I?
Please help, I want to order one of these soon. I know some of you have swapped and hybrids and would know the real diffs between the I and II's

Thanks!

-Ryan

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the differences?
Why do they raise the redline so much on a Type II and do nothing with a Type I at all? Thats BS
I hate modding this car.... What makes a Type II able to do so much more than a Type I?

I need a Ferrari.....

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,926 Posts
Is there really a TYPE I and TYPE II chip? As far as I knew, there was just a "Stage I and Stage II" chip. Stage I is for stock cars, while the Stage II is for midified cars with intake/exhaust, and so forth. If there is a TYPE I and TYPE II chip, that means they actually make 4 different chips for the Legend?

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
Well, I mean the internals of the two motors are physically different. So the chips have to be different. That's why the redline is higher on the Type II, it's desigend to run that way.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No They are different. I emailed him asking what all it did.
This is what he replied-

"The HP gain with the Stage 2 chip is approximately 21HP. Our Stage 2
chip is programmed to work with bolt on performance parts installed on
your vehicle. If you have the 200HP engine, the rev. limit remains
factory stock. If you have the 230HP engine, the rev. limit is set at 7500
rpm. Use 91+ premium grade gasoline with our performance chip.
"

I dont get it... Why the difference?

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
I'm just stabbing in the dark here, but maybe it's because the Type II is a naturally higher revving engine than the Type I, and the peak HP is also at about 500 RPMs higher. So, maybe the Type I has enough headroom at its stock redline to maximize on the Stage II gains, whereas the Type II may need the extra headroom to fully utilize the chip's potential.

Again, I'm just pulling this out of nowhere, with no real supporting info. :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just trying to figure out why there is such a big redline difference. I was under the impession that the Type 2 had a better intake and more free-flowing stock exhaust, and other minor diffs to get that extra 30HP. But after the chip there is nearly a 1500RPM difference between the Type I and II !!
:confused:

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
Are you sure that it's a 1500 RPM difference? That would put the Type I's rev limit at 6000, which I don't think it is.

I'm not certain, but I've always thought it to be at about 7000 for both Type I and II (stock).

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Is it even safe to boost your redline to 7500 RPM? It says in the owners manual that driving in the redline area can damage your engine (obvious information).

So what about this chip now makes it ok to do so? Or does it just raise the redline so you can rev higher, and still possibly do even more damage to your engine, because of a higher rev limiter.

So I guess the rev limiter would be closer to 8000rpm, because I think the type II has a rev liiter about 500 rpm past the redline....

enlighten me:confused: :)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The redline on my Type I is 6200. A Type II is 6800 I believe. So after the chip it is 6200RPM vs 7500RPM. That is a HUGE difference. I didnt know the engines were that different.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS

ChrisK said:
Is there really a TYPE I and TYPE II chip? As far as I knew, there was just a "Stage I and Stage II" chip. Stage I is for stock cars, while the Stage II is for midified cars with intake/exhaust, and so forth. If there is a TYPE I and TYPE II chip, that means they actually make 4 different chips for the Legend?
TAKE IT FROM SOMEONE WHO KNOWS

Yes i had a long discusstion with him about it a little while back. the TYPE II has a Differnt stage I and two chip code.

I have the stage II TYPE I ECU running MY TYPE II Engine. I thought back in the day that since i dynoed off the chip 7&7 to the wheels that i really wasent losing any HP. After thinking and thinking, i figured that i must be losing something because the whole topend of a TYPE II is bigger, and the chip isnt utilizing all of it because it doesnt know to.

Bigger bores in the intake manifold, exhaust manifolds,fuel rails,fuel injectors,intake valves etc.

My redline was raised to 7000 with the stage 2 type I chip and the TYPE 2 is Supposed to be raised to 7600 all because the TYPE 2 Makes more power up higher.

So now im waiting on cash to chip a type II chip i have here. i cant wait to see the difference.

~Hybrid

·
GS Hog
7,026 Posts
Actually, I should make a correction to my earlier statement. The rised limit isn't the redline, but the rev limiter; two different things.

The Type II redline may be 6700 RPM, but the rev limiter is set at a higher threshold. Same goes for the 6200 RPM redline; the rev limit isn't set at 6200, at least, I don't think. :confused:

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
LegendGS said:
Actually, I should make a correction to my earlier statement. The rised limit isn't the redline, but the rev limiter; two different things.

The Type II redline may be 6700 RPM, but the rev limiter is set at a higher threshold. Same goes for the 6200 RPM redline; the rev limit isn't set at 6200, at least, I don't think. :confused:
Mine
Stage 2 Type I ECU Rev Limit @ 7000RPM
Stock Red line 6200-rev limit 6500

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DV8-

So what was your redline after the chip?

So does the guy that emailed me not know what he was talking about?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.