Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
90 legend. 2 door. can't get my **** belt buckle out. the part with the release button in case i'm confusing you with the term. i have the bolt out. but the piece just won't come out with all the twists and turn in the metal "arm". what's the deal?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm going to the dealer.Meantime,pry the plastic covers apart and carefully remove the red parts that have jammed in there.You may need some duct tape to hold them together.

·
Registered
778 Posts
this was 2 years ago i dought its stil broken or he let alone has the car

·
Registered
778 Posts
the will do it for free as long as its not abused like you cut the belt or something

·
because i can.
10,154 Posts
Yeah dude it has to be a mechanical defect....Im in a big arguement right now with a local GM dealership because I tried to have them replace my Grandfathers seatbelts in his El Camino (they dont retract anymore) for free and the service dude literally laughed in my face.

I told him that seatbelts are covered for the lifetime of a vehicle and he said its not true and I had to prove it....so I am going to call up DOT and some other agencies to see what I can do....then after everythings all said and done, Im going to the Better Business Beureu (sp?) about this ass hole....

·
because i can.
10,154 Posts
Yup you got it....call up a Honda or Acura dealership near you, tell them whats up, and that you would like to make an appointment to have them changed....if you play your cards right you may even be able to get a loner if you tell them that you need to go to work while they have the car :D

·
Stop eyeballin' me, dawg!
1,160 Posts
WHAT?!?! I drove around in my prelude with a broken passenger side seatbelt for a year! Wish I woulda known about the lifetime replacement, girl and I probably wouldn't have broken up if I let her ride in the front seat :giggle:

·
Registered
814 Posts
There was actually a recall for the g1 legend
The red plastic button for the seatbelt release can break and jam the mechanism inside.
I fixed mine myself but I wouldnt have been able to if I didn't have a parts car (there are 2 or 3 springs inside the buckle and I lost one during disassembly).

Because there was a recall you should definetly get a free fix from the dealership.

BP

·
Registered
515 Posts
Damn... I think i have gotten one of those should-have-been-recalled-vehicles my self. passenger seat belt "connector" thing is totally not working. think the warranty is valid over here too?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Shai_Hulud said:
Damn... I think i have gotten one of those should-have-been-recalled-vehicles my self. passenger seat belt "connector" thing is totally not working. think the warranty is valid over here too?
^^Yup^^

I talked to a dealer today and they gotta have my car for two days but its free and i wont have to deal with my seat belt hanging out my door anymore.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can't believe they need the car for two days. If I were you, I'd insist on a loaner car, because it's a recall, not a service repair. With an appointment, it should take maybe 30 minutes. I'd be really cautious, they don't try to tack on "well, you need this and you need this, etc".

Mine still works, but the belt is in really bad shape. The treads keep pulling off. In one spot, I probably only have about 60% of the belt left.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Found the details on the recall
The following is from:
http://www.automotive.com/1989/49/acura/legend/recalls/131.html

Recall Date:
MAY 24, 1995

Summary:
THE FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLE RELEASE BUTTONS CAN BREAK. THESE RED PLASTIC RELEASE BUTTONS ARE MARKED "PRESS." IF A BUTTON BREAKS, PIECES CAN FALL INTO THE BUCKLE ASSEMBLY CAUSING THE BUCKLE TO OPERATE IMPROPERLY.

Consequence:
THE SAFETY BELTS WOULD NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE PROTECTION TO AN OCCUPANT IN A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy:
OWNERS SHOULD PROMPTLY CHECK THE CONDITION AND OPERATION OF BOTH FRONT SAFETY BELT BUCKLES. CAREFULLY INSPECT THE RED RELEASE BUTTON FOR ANY BREAKS OR CRACKS. CHECK THAT BOTH BUCKLES ARE OPERATING PROPERLY BY INSERTING EACH LATCH PLATE INTO ITS BUCKLE, TUG ON THE BELT TO MAKE SURE THE LATCH IS SECURELY LOCKED, THEN PRESS THE RELEASE BUTTON. THE LATCH PLATE SHOULD POP OUT OF THE BUCKLE WHEN THE BUTTON IS PRESSED. IF EITHER RELEASE BUTTON SHOWS ANY SIGN OF BREAKAGE OR CRACKING, OR IF EITHER BUCKLE FAILS TO OPERATE PROPERLY, PROMPTLY CONTACT YOUR AUTHORIZED HONDA/ACURA DEALER TO SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT TO HAVE THE BUCKLE REPLACED OR REPAIRED, FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER IS DEVELOPING A REMEDY DESIGNED TO PREVENT THE FAILURE OF THE BUTTONS THAT ARE NOT CURRENTLY BROKEN.

Potential Units Affected:

Notes:
AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.

BP

·
Registered
778 Posts
joeace said:
I can't believe they need the car for two days. If I were you, I'd insist on a loaner car, because it's a recall, not a service repair. With an appointment, it should take maybe 30 minutes. I'd be really cautious, they don't try to tack on "well, you need this and you need this, etc".

Mine still works, but the belt is in really bad shape. The treads keep pulling off. In one spot, I probably only have about 60% of the belt left.
they will replace you belt if it is fraying and my car only took a day dropped it off at 10 am pick it up 3 pm the nexted day

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.