·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 Legends.

Legend 1 --
92L Sedan Color: Phantom Purchased New - July '92
Current mileage - 299K.
All Stock except for 5 spoke dealer accessory wheels.

Legend 2 --
94L Sedan Color: Cashmere Purchased used - Mar '01 w/53K
Current mileage - 78K
Added - Brembo XDrilled/Slotted, K&N, Metal Masters, Katana Racing Chrome 17's, Yokos,Clear corners/signals, 9005 to 9006, Colgan Sport, Alpine CD changer

My Maintenance schedule-
Mobil1, 5/30 every 5K w/Purolator filter (never missed)
Tranny Fluid every 50K
T-Belt/water pump, plugs every 90K
Engine Belts - 100K
Only changed brake fluid once - 150K (recommend more changes)

Repairs to 92L
Over the years had 3 therms, 2 replacement radiators (they last about 100K), speed sensor,2 replacement blower motors,3or4 CV boots, too many antenna masts, tie rods, 2 sets of shocks, countless rotors/pads/tires.

At 287K, I needed a steering rack , right CV axle.
Never had engine or tranny problem.

Weirdest S#%T: Coolant leaking but could not see where it was coming from. Had blown bypass hoses between engine and firewall.

Recommendations:
Change oil often - use M1 (dont start if you already have high mileage engine)
Check CV boots often - They rip easy and once they lose grease you need new axle.
Race and Chase p^$$y - Not other cars.

There you have it.
See you at 350K.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions!!

Congratulations on hitting 300k!!! Is that a record???

BTW, whats the difference between 5W30 and 10W30? Weight? What effect does it have on the engine?

Everytime I get oil change done, they use 10W30, i think?

thanks!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not an oil expert but this is my understanding. The 2 numbers represent thickness (viscosity). The higher the # the thicker. The first # is the oils normal temp (standing) thickness - the second # the thickness when the oil warms up and reaches operating temp.

A 5 is thinner than 10 and flows faster at engine startup. This is good for our engines that were engineered with very close tolerances. However if your s#^t leaks a 5 is not cool.

What I forgot to say before is that I recently started using half 5/30 - half 10/30 so I guess I use 7.5/30

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
310 Posts
Awesome, good job there. I hope mine will last just as long as yours. Got mine 95L sedan at 76K and started using Castrol Syntec which was great, but when I switched to Mobil 1 the next time, it was leaking oil, hopefully it won't be too serious. I'll be switching it back to Castrol the next time I change my oil tho.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rockshox72 said:
Awesome, good job there. I hope mine will last just as long as yours. Got mine 95L sedan at 76K and started using Castrol Syntec which was great, but when I switched to Mobil 1 the next time, it was leaking oil, hopefully it won't be too serious. I'll be switching it back to Castrol the next time I change my oil tho.
Where is the leak coming from?

I've heard some bad things about certain oil filters.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Another thing to keep in mind when it comes to oil changes is your enviornment. In Jersey, where it can sometimes be cold during the winter, you may need one type of oil. But in Cali, depending on where you are, you may need another type of oil.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Good observation and important thing to keep in mind!

By the way, DOUBLE LEGEND how did you drive so many miles?? Are you a salesman? Just wondering :confused:

....30,000 miles per year for last 10 years!

Thanks again for your answers on oil question!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Check the oil filter becuse places try to use the cheap filters and they just dont work. Valvoline did this to me once so then i just started doing my own.

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
310 Posts
I got my OEM Legend/NSX specific oil filter from Augusta of Acura, and the leak appears to be coming from the drain bolt and from under the oil cap, go figure. I assuming Mobil 1 is so thin, it's found the crack to leak out of even when it's all tightened. The previous owner probably been using regular oil up to when I got it at 67K miles, but changed it fairly frequently it seems since the engine purrs like a kitten.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
rockshox72 said:
I got my OEM Legend/NSX specific oil filter from Augusta of Acura, and the leak appears to be coming from the drain bolt and from under the oil cap, go figure.
That sounds strange to me... Better check the cap & bolt gaskets. You did use a new metal plug "bolt" gasket right? Overfill?????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.