Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've read in several acura coupe descriptions that some have self sealing doors? What does that mean? When do they close by themselves and how? Is this standard on the coupe, because it sure isn't on my sedan. Can someone please explain what the self sealind doors are please?

2,762 Posts
The name of the feature is "active door strikes". All second generation coupes have them. The latch mechanism in the door is basically like any other. The difference is the closed "U" shaped striker on the car itself slides in and out about 1/4" to 1/8". When the door is opened, the striker slides out, and it slides back in once the door is latched onto it. This eliminates the need to slam the coupe doors. Just push them gently as the door meets the car body and they finish the close themselves.

· GS Hog
7,345 Posts
Yes, it's standard on the coupes. They aren't on the sedans because, as you well know, the doors on the sedan virtually close themselves without any effort anyway. The coupe doors are larger and heavier, so Honda probably put them in to make them as easy to close as the sedans.

· Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! That helps a lot. But are they known to go out/would I have to replace them often, since I'm planning to buy a 6 spd coupe in the spring. I would love to have that feature.

· Banned
2,279 Posts
I love that feature also. I didnt know it until the car wash guy closed the door and I was going to adjust it and it closed itself. It is impressive. Now all I need are auto up/down windows and power folding mirrors and Im ballin.

2,762 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only coupe owner that cringes every time they have a passenger hop in. Nobody suspects and they just slam the thing. At the same time, I don't want to be that guy that es about it and sound like an a-hole so I never say anything. :D

· 805 YO
459 Posts
Ya I HATE it when people slam my doors. I'm too polite to say so, but I die a little inside each time. :(

· Registered
2,249 Posts
92drls said:
Finally....Can you say our cars are "ahead of their time"...
Somewhat - my dads 86 Coupe Deville 4/6/8 had the feature on the trunk (I wish it DID have it on the doors - man those things were monsters). Coupe doors are generally heavier and beside needing less efforts to close it, it also prevents damaging the latch from having to slam the thing just to get it to close properly. Forward Thinking Indeed.

Most American Land Yachts had that on the trunk probably becasue the deck was a heavy piece of something and slamming that thing constantly would kill the entire mechanism after a while. You just close it gently and whirrrrrr, it would pull the lid down and latch - cool to watch, even better to see my uncle fuss at me for "slamming my frigg'n trunk, this aint Henry's (my pops) Gran Fury you know, it's a CADILLAC!"

· Renaissance.
3,096 Posts
Searchin4acoupe said:
I'm sure I'm not the only coupe owner that cringes every time they have a passenger hop in. Nobody suspects and they just slam the thing. At the same time, I don't want to be that guy that es about it and sound like an a-hole so I never say anything. :D
Man, forget that. I frequently have to make little trips @ work w/this girl that works in the office with me. The first time she got in my car, she slammed it so hard you think she's used to slamming old school Cadillac doors or something! So, we got to the destination, and she gets out, and BAM, slams the door again. I was trying to be tactful, so when she got in when we were leaving, I opened and closed the door for her, hoping she'd notice the feature. We got back to the office, BAM, she slammed the door again. I got out and told her, "Look, you don't have to take the door off. It closes itself, see?" And I showed her. "Oh," she says.

2 days later, she slammed the door again. But she caught herself and apologized. If she does it again, she's walking. Call me an @ss, but the car will be around long after she/I leave this job.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.