Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consider my self a pretty good home mechanic. I went and replaced the valve cover and side cover rubber gaskets on my 89 Acura Legend 2.7.
All went well- but now it is leaking oil by the oil filter (not oil filter gasket) but it drips (to the tune of 3 to 4 big drops a second) by the side of the oil pan coming down the side of the engine but not sure where.
To make matters worse, there is a pipe that carries antifreeze to the engine that on moving to install rear side cover the movement was enough to cause the original rubber pipe that joins this pipe to develop a leak as well!
The best I can guess in on installing, something got moved and created a more severe leak.

So now I have two serious leaks oil and antifreeze.
should of just left the minor leaks (form old gaskets on side covers alone)
I removed the rear cover again and carefully cleaned and reinstalled the gasket with good quality sealer and do not feel it is from there.

Any suggestions from those who have been here before? or expert mechanics?

Thanx in advance!
bulterier

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK Legend Afficianados

Found my problem!
There is a double (figure 8) O ring that connects the oil filter housing to the engine block. This double O ring after years of use finally get old and brittle and leaks oil that is supposed to go to and from the filter to the engine. It is held on with 3 -12 mm bolts. I now need to go to the Acura dealer to get one of these double O rings. While I am at it- am replacing the heater hoses that go to this filter housing as well. Just run of the mill heater hose will work.

Will post on what happens after I install the O ring.

PS I tried using two standard Orings aprox the same size but have problem fitting them in the recess, when they butt up to each other. So its a design made to get you back to the dealer. expensive I am sure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.