Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a thread by legend89chopped and he was talking about how he shaved his body moldings... it might sound stupid to some of you :hide: but does that mean he actually shaved them or just took them off... can you take them off? :wtf: idk because i think his car and akurit's car looks sweet without the moldings. could i do that to my 87 sedan? has anyone done it?

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
shaving isn't just taking off. nor is it shaving, like you would shave your hairy butt..

first you remove the moldings. then you'll see the mounting holes ( and i'm not sure about g1's but) most cars with side moldings also have a "groove" in the panel they are on so that the moldings don't just look slapped on.. to get rid of this groove takes a decent amount of body work, which in turn means paint.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh okay. i knew there was mounting holes but i didnt know what he meant by "shaved" but now i do thanks alot

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Das is correct.

1) Remove moulding
2) Sand
3) Fill trim grooves (usually done with bondo =/)
4) Sand
5) Sand more
6) Primer
7) Paint

Or something like that.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
better than fiberglass is MARglass. or marine glass.. i used to use it alot when i did work on vette's

but the BEST and strongest way is to spot weld in strips of sheetmetal then use just enough bondo to smoothe it out.

·
Registered
646 Posts
When I was in school, there was a guy who welded his, but in a year, corrosion had worked from the inside out, and his paint started to fall off at that point. I didn't want to deal with trying to seal it off from the inside with epoxy paint, so I just fiberglassed. Believe me, if I can find an excuse to use my welder, I'm gonna use it, but I didn't in this case.

·
Registered
646 Posts
ALSO, my body kit is fiberglass, and runs along the bottom edge of my moulding, so I would still have to fill a lot after welding if I took that route.

·
Registered
94 Posts
i agree, but WELD the sides! then fiber glass, then bondo, then finnishing bondo, then primer, then paint,then clear. easy on paper but it gets expensive!..... if ur gonna shave moldings have at least 1200 saved up and a good body man... i dont recomend this one to amatures as ur doors could and up so wavy and un even if u dont know what ur doing. im in the process of this myself i primer my car on sat night sunday.... its alot of work and alot of time and LOVE. after the prime then comes the 2 tone...... shhh on th DL no one knows.... the AL members will see a completed porduct soon

·
Registered
646 Posts
I hear ya! I still got a lot of block sanding to do, hard work. It took me several months of working on it, about 10 hours a week or so. I have the form of everything right... just the damn block sanding!:whip:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts