Acura Legend Forum banner

she's running hot

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  redtegrs91 
#1 ·
as some of you may know i just got my GS and i keep it at my fathers house while he drives it around until i get my license in feb.

he said that it was running hot, now he does know a good amount about cars, we just havent taken a good look at it yet, and im not exactly sure of the symptoms so we'll see.

maybe it wasnt a good idea traveling 4 hrs away to get it, i hope its smthn simple or not too expensive, i love that car

maybe some of you could tell me your experiences, id appreciate it

thanks

#3 ·
when i drove it back from philly there was not any overheating at all in fact it was more on the cool side than hot.

my dad drove it probably about 80mi the next day, then about 2 days later he pulled out of the driveway got about a mile down there road and he turned around b.c it got almost all the way to H, he said it could be a fuse that isnt switching the fan on maybe, itcould just need fresh coolant. hopefully it is something simple.

we did notice that putting the climate control on 80 wasn't as warm as it should be.

#7 ·
Use this process to make sure all the air is out of the cooling system.
Do this:
first turn the heat to full hot(opens the heater control valve to let coolant flow).
1. Open bleeder at thermostat housing and remove radiator cap(not resivoir cap).
2. Pour coolant into radiator until a steady stream of coolant without bubbles comes out bleeder.
3. Close bleeder.
4. Leave rad cap off and start engine. As engine warms up top off coolant as air burps out.
5. Massage upper radiator hose to help get air out.*CAUTION COOLANT IS HOT AND WILL BURN YOU* if you squeeze the hose too hard and coolant splashes out on your arm.
6. When engine reaches normal temp it should be good to go. Install radiator cap.
7. fill coolant resivoir to proper level.
8. Drive vehicle and monitor temp. After engine cools down completely remove rad cap and top off if necessary.

#8 · (Edited)
Do not operate your Legend with a known coolant leak. No matter how small. Inspect the top of the radiator(the plastic part) for signs of a small leak. Most all Legends develop a small crack and leak here. Your dad was smart to turn around and park the car.
You may be lucky and just been low on coolant. Service it up per the instructions above and try it again.

#10 ·
mondonalds said:
FYI -

Your temp should really stay where it is in the picture below: See this thread for more details/concurrences.

The perfect 100,000.0 Thats very hard to do with stopping and clicking the picture. I highly recommend testing/replacing the thermostat on your car. If something were wrong with it and you didnt know......BOOM, new motor..

#11 ·
almost same thing happened to my integra. On the highway it will not overheat because there is always cool air cooling down the engine. The problem on mine was the thermostat was bad causing back pressure which was leaking coolant out of the spare coolant reservoir. Because of this, i would lose coolant and then it would eventually start overheating. Once i changed the thermostat, it was fine once again. Add coolant and see what happens. Next step i would be to change the thermostat. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.