Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a '90 Legend Coupe L w/226K miles. About 2 weeks ago a noticed that I could no longer Shift Out of Park. I now have to put it in Neutral, start the engine, then shift to D in order to drive.

A few days later I notice my back brake light no longer worked. All the fuses checked OK. I even replaced the bulbs, but still no brake lights. However, the reverse and turn signal lights work.

Any idea what's causing both problems, and if either is related to the other?

Best Regards.

Shawn.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Check your brake light switch. That would also explain the shift lock problem.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had the same problem a few months back - couldn't shift out of park plus brake lights not working. Even replaced rear bulb but to no avail. Turns out that water was getting into my taillight assembly and shorting out the electricals somehow. My horn didn't work either.

To fix the problem, I took the rear taillight assembly off and dried it. Looked at all the socket connections to make sure it was not shorted (one of my light connectors actually melted and was constantly grounded, thus caused electrical problems). As well, I noticed that a small circuit board attached to the rear of the taillight assembly had a blown circuit. To simplify the fix, I used a piece of copper to jump the blown circuit. Reassembled it all back together and resealed the rear assembly so water wouldn't leak into it again. So far so good. It has been a couple of months and the problems have not reappeared. Mind you, it hasn't rained much the past couple of months either.

If you do try this yourself, don't overtighten the rear taillight assembly when you reassemble since new one costs big $$$$$$$$. In CND $ 600 bucks each ($400 US).

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.