Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4,086 Posts
first off...i don't know how people did it without a lift. The only way i see is to get to angular ratchet wrenches....after taking console off.

It isn't to hard except for switching all the oem stuff over to the new one...I had a with that ball support spring thingee....lets just say u cant use my original anymore.

· Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
swift said:
first off...i don't know how people did it without a lift. The only way i see is to get to angular ratchet wrenches....after taking console off.

It isn't to hard except for switching all the oem stuff over to the new one...I had a with that ball support spring thingee....lets just say u cant use my original anymore.
Why might you need a lift?
Is there a such tool as an angular ratchet?
What happens with the ball support spring thingee???

· Registered
4,086 Posts
u can buy them wrenches but expensive i think. ...U can't get to ordinary wrenches down there unless u put it in fourth maybe..

The ball that lets shifter swivel sits in a holder that goes around it...but i couldn't figure out how to get it off the entire shifter, i could get it off the ball but that was it....

Also i am headed up to campbellsport this friday....and we never ummmmm shifted fast. :2cool:

· Banned
2,990 Posts
Back from long ago, dead thread!

So, this snap ring thingy. Once that is removed does the old shifter lift right out?

Keep in mind that I have the old shifter and linkage sitting in my living room, so it's all out in the open, not on my car. Any help's appreciated, thank-you.

Oh, and the short shifter seems to have a larger bore where the 12mm bolt holds the linkage on at, so it looks like I'll need a bigger bushing, any suggestions there?

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
Main problem I ran into was unbolting/reinstalling the shifter itself from under the car...I dropped the heat shield which helped out some...but a small set of extra hands will definitely help out if you can find some...

· Registered
6,057 Posts
You can get to the bolt from inside the car, no need to get underneath it, it's just slightly more difficult. I didn't even use angular wrenches.

The only problem you may run into is the bottom of the shifter can rub up against the heat shield for the exhaust. I fixed this very easily by tapping it a tiny bit with a hammer. Apparantly the clearances are tight....

· Banned
2,990 Posts
You can get to the bolt from inside the car, no need to get underneath it, it's just slightly more difficult. I didn't even use angular wrenches.

The only problem you may run into is the bottom of the shifter can rub up against the heat shield for the exhaust. I fixed this very easily by tapping it a tiny bit with a hammer. Apparantly the clearances are tight....
Any ideas on bushing sizes for the bottom where bolt goes???????????

· because i can.
10,426 Posts
:werd: on the heat shield problem...after extensively banging mine out on my G1, it still tends to rub a bit on the 2-3 shift :mad:...I may just get rid of that section of heat shield altogether because it tends to rattle...anyhow, I think I'm going to step back from this thread bc there just seem to be a few differences between the G1 and G2 install....good luck though man!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.