Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.. I have debating whether or not to purchase a 1999 Acura 3.2TL from a private seller. The car seems to be in very good condition and is price reasonable. It has 130k and the seller wants $6000 for it. I have been reading about transmission problems with the TL. Most of the post stated the years 00-03. Does the 1999 TL have transmission issues too?? All you experts out there let me know what you think. I have had a 1992 Legend that I absolutely love for many years. I got 289K on it right now. I kinda wanted to stay with Acura, but dont want to run into transmission issues if I can help it. Thanks..

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The 99 TL has a 4 speed tranny. The 00-03 had the 5 speed. It is the 5 speeds that have the major issues. I think some have reported problems with the 4 speed, but not nearly as many. You should be good with the 99.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh ok.. now does the 1999 Acura TL have the same tranny as the Legends. I have a 92 Legend. Also, the notice that was put out by Acura with the 7 year/ 100,000 warranty on the transmission did not apply to the 1999 TL?

·
Banned
2,990 Posts
Hello all.. I have debating whether or not to purchase a 1999 Acura 3.2TL from a private seller. The car seems to be in very good condition and is price reasonable. It has 130k and the seller wants $6000 for it. I have been reading about transmission problems with the TL. Most of the post stated the years 00-03. Does the 1999 TL have transmission issues too?? All you experts out there let me know what you think. I have had a 1992 Legend that I absolutely love for many years. I got 289K on it right now. I kinda wanted to stay with Acura, but dont want to run into transmission issues if I can help it. Thanks..
As in 4 speed auto or manual?:confused:

·
Banned
2,475 Posts
the 5speed auto was the problematic tranny....but I think the 99 was the first year of the HID'd TL...which if correct me if I'm wrong, has that 5spd problematic tranny

·
Stock Is Best
5,507 Posts
The '99 had a 4 speed. The real problematic transmissions were the 02-03 Type S. The Type S used the same transmission as a non Type S but it had 35 more horsepower, which apparently made a bad engine/transmission match. My 2002 Type S transmission went out at 115k. I believe Tnelson has a Type S that has had tranny problems also.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Personally, I think the G2 3.2TL looks like ass (not in a good, Selena Spice kinda way). Secondly, I'd stay away from any 98-2005 Honda / Acura with an auto tranny. The 4 speed auto trannies also have a tendency to develop problems. Even if the dealer had replaced the tranny in the past, replacement transmission manufactured prior to 2005 have the same problems. Now you COULD do a 6 speed swap into it but it would add up to the same as getting a new auto trans. Call me paranoid but $6K sounds low for a 3.2TL in excellent condition, unless the owner knows something that he is not disclosing. Sure it is possible that the transmission on this particular car won't fail but there is a chance that it might; I don't know if its a risk worth taking. When looking at replacements, I found the GS300 and I30/35 to be interesting since nothing in the Acura line-up pre 2004 appeals to me.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Personally, I think the G2 3.2TL looks like ass (not in a good, Selena Spice kinda way). Secondly, I'd stay away from any 98-2005 Honda / Acura with an auto tranny. The 4 speed auto trannies also have a tendency to develop problems. Even if the dealer had replaced the tranny in the past, replacement transmission manufactured prior to 2005 have the same problems.
Not only that, but 1999 was the first year NA made TL. They had major issues with assembly quality, engine blocks, paint, mechanicals... I'd stay away.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.