Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Acura Legend. Its been overheating and has steam coming from the back of the motor when it goes all the way hot. I want to fix it instead of getting a new car. I keep finding jdm engines but no one that can do it for a good price. {$2500+} Anybody got any advice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 1993 Acura Legend. Its been overheating and has steam coming from the back of the motor when it goes all the way hot. I want to fix it instead of getting a new car. I keep finding jdm engines but no one that can do it for a good price. {$2500+} Anybody got any advice?
i dont know how to reply w/o quoting the thread but i have blown the head gasket motor swap is the best way to go.i have found jdm for like 900 to 1000 get them its worth it. i am in the middle of taking the engine from my92 that i wrecked and putting it a 93 that i tried to fix head gaskets on too hard said fuck it and did a motor swap.JUST SWAP IT FRIEND

·
Lejen - on cardomain.com
258 Posts
I strongly disagree. First you should check the BHG threads and make sure you do all the things suggested before talking about swapping or even taking the thing apart. I went through the fixes that were posted and tried everythgin from bleeding (Mike's Thread), putting in Water Wetter, changing out thermostats the works. I didnt see any oil in my coolant so it was baffling to me. It overheated at the oddest times but would get more frequent. I went to the dealership (stealership) and explained to them my issues and my concerns of what I thought it to be (BHG) and they offered to replace the motor for 3500.00 WTF! So I went to the ProShop after months of research and trial and error and some obsurd pricing from the Dealer and they insisted that I didnt have a BHG. I insisted that I did...we went back and forth (I should never argue with someone who knows more about cars than me). They also saw no signs of oil and coolant mixtures. It was overheating at odd times sometimes once a month sometimes once a week. They offered to do the HG work reluctantly anyway since I was so sure about it. It cost me 1600.00 to get the work done. Afterwards it still overheated. I brought it back in and they found that it wasnt actually the HG like they said but I had a bad sensor. I believe that cost me 90.00 to replace. They were nice enough not to charge me for the sensor, but this goes to show you that you may think its something it actually isnt and getting it fixed was a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing the entire engine. Just dont jump to a swap too fast is all I am saying but if youre as impatient as I am and insist on it then you could end up spending money where you dont need to. Learn from my mistake...although I am glad I took care of it before anything did happen to my HG. So I look at it as preventitive maintenance...keeps me from feeling like a [email protected] anyway.

Oh yeah and I asked about the JDM Engines and swapping and the owner said that those engines are high mileage and they sell them saying they are low mileage to make a buck. Most of his distributors are based in Japan. So I definately dont see that as being a better option either. Here are the links and if you search my threads (name and BHG) you'll find my entire story as well as many others with the same or similar issues. I suggest you take a better half of a day to really read the threads.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbullet...oolant-problem-post-all-questions-here-38831/

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulletin/883766-post7.html

·
Registered
962 Posts
I too have read about every thread there is regarding to BHG's and have an
opinion. If you get 150K out of the first HG and you replace the HG with OEM
(or better gaskets), should you not get another 150k before having to replace it again? Of course that is taking into consideration that there was no other mechanical issue such as a warped head and that the owner properly maintains the cooling system. When you keep your original motor, at least you know the exact milage and care. I have had head gaskets replaced on other high milage vehicles with no other issues and a good outcome.

·
Registered
364 Posts
jdm does not mean it wont happen again.... If you feel like a HG job is something you can handle i say do it because you get to really clean the internals while your doing it!!

·
Fut RIP
10,147 Posts
might try sugabear he's on here and from atl he work on legends!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
y get a new engine?? too risky and it will happen again. just get the HG job done and have no worries at all!! also get the wp done, tb, thermo and ur set for the next 100,000 miles

·
Registered
313 Posts
I agree....after having been through it all....HG, WP,TB,THERMO,BELTS,HOSES...

when its done, its done, change teh oil, and flush and fill the cooling system once a year with OEM fluids...and from my exp, better to dance with the devil that you know...just my .02
good luck!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks. i see that goin jdm is not such a good idea. hg repair is what i will be looking foward to doing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after i saw the steam surging out from the rear of the motor, i then realized that it had to be coming from the hg.

·
makes his putts....
693 Posts
after i saw the steam surging out from the rear of the motor, i then realized that it had to be coming from the hg.
That doesn't mean its a BHG. There are 2 coolant lines in the back side of the motor that are a common failure point on these engines. Get a hydrocarbon test done.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Steam at rear sounds like a bad coolant line to me, not BHG. good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts