Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am within an inch of buying the RL. It is between it and the Audi A6 and I am just about at a flip of a coin. I feel I would be happy with either car for different reasons. At this point it comes down to availability and selection as Acura is holding tight and the Audi has only dropped $2,000 off of MSRP.

I'm a gadget guy and the RL is chocked full or 'em. But I have to admit, the Audi is easier to look at.

Any advice for this forum newbie?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Pops -

I was in the same situation until a couple of weeks ago when I pulled the trigger on an RL. The interior of the A6 3.2's that I test drove four times didn't feel as warm and comfortable to me as the RL. I was interested in the beige interiors on both cars, and I didn't like the birch wood trim that the A6 had.

Regarding technology, after using the MMI system w/navigation and voice recognition on a couple of the test drives, I found the RL's interface to work better for me. The graphics (i.e. POI icons, road lines, etc.) of the map display on the A6 are more refined though. If you're a gadget guy, which I also consider myself to be, the RL is the one to pick. The RL's audio system sounds a lot better to me than the samples I heard in the A6 (CDs and XM, obviously not DVD-A) and the MP3/WMA capabilities are a huge plus in my mind since it's going to be tough to replace the "head unit" in either of these cars. I'm still on the fence about how useful the traffic display feature of the RL is, but it's nice to know it's there. The keyless access feature of both cars is something that I thought was going to be a gimmic, but after using it for the past couple of days I will definitely miss it if it was taken away from me.

I still think the A6 has the edge on exterior styling, but the RL is growing on me, especially from certain angles.

The 3.2's low end torque was a little better than the RL, but once the RL is rev'd up it takes little effort to get up to 80. The RL's handling does have an edge in my mind.

Just my $.02... Let me know if you have any questions.

- Lawrence

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tough decision -- reliability and dealer availability/quality?

As a previous owner of 3 Audis (last was a 2003 Audi allroad), I just purchased a 2005 RL after comparing it with the new A6. Both are good cars. The Audi may have the advantage of styling and versatility (larger trunk and fold down rear seats). The RL has the advantage (I hope) of reliability and resale value. Both handle reasonably well but not up to BMW 5 series as they start as FWD cars. The Audi is outstanding in snow (take it from a ski coach and official), but I hope the RL will be close or as good. Audi's never have good cup holders.

In the end, my concern was Audi reliability. I've had two goods ones and one problem one. They do require some care and feeding. You need to be willing to visit the dealer somewhat frequently so you had better like them. I've heard the new A6 is better but don't have the experience.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Traded an '04 S4 for RL

Audi makes a good vehicle. Drove a 2004 S4 for 3,500 miles and once I drove the RL I was sold. I had some back problems sitting in the Audi Recaro's but the RL blew it away! I also considered trading on an A6 and the RL again had more to offer and technically seemed more advanced and "fun" for road trips.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well, I'd look at the interior, drive and reliability mroe than the exterior. Do you plan to stand outside of the car and stare at it or do you plan to drive it which is done in the interior?:)

Also, will you care what the exterior looks like if the car turns out to be unreliable and you have to take it in to get repaired frequently? Not saying that will happen with the Audi but just making a general comment.

I say if you are a gadget guy you go for the car that has more gadgets, should have better reliability and IMO has the superior interior and from most accounts handles better. That car would be the RL.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks for the encouragement. Mine was delivered yesterday afternoon. I think I shared much of the sentiments conveyed, 'cept maybe one from Rob L. :) I have to walk up and look at the thing each and every time I drive it. Even to this geezer, exterior appeal is important to me. I have to admit though it is growing on me too. This new found appeal might have some connection with writing a monster check for it. Funny how that can work on you. :)

Is anyone else a little apprehensive if some of the mass amounts of computing power goes amuck? I mean man; you can't even tie a string from the gas pedal to the throttle bore.

Initial thoughts

Navigation is as good or better than my Garmin. In addition, the 8" screen allows me to read all important data without having to put on my reading glasses. This sounds rather petty, but for those of you that have to do it, you would appreciate this.

Voice recognition is very good. Not perfect by any means, but much better than some others.

I too feel the input control system is pretty intuitive. Reading the manual will likely uncover all the capabilities, but just playing with it will allow one to do quite a bit.

The buttons on the steering wheel allow for allot of good useable input allowing you to be able to watch the girls crossing the street.

The ambient lighting is a cool blue.

Only a couple of negatives thus far. I knew the rear seating felt cramped. I seldom have to use the rear seating so it is not a real issue for me.

The trunk space is small as mentioned above. The test will be tomorrow when we load up with luggage and gifts and hit the road. If it is adequate for this trip, it will be adequate for the rest of the time.

There is a real blind spot when looking over your left shoulder to look out the rear. This has you relying more on the mirrors. And the tilt down feature really helps in this regard.

All in all, I feel like I did make the right choice. Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Congrats pops!!

BTW I do think exterior look is somewhat important but IMO it is far less important than the interior and the drive the car gives.

I liken it to a woman...what she looks like is nice and all but it is what's inside that matters most and how easy she is to get along with.

·
Banned
1,973 Posts
go for the RL or wait for the 06 lexus GS.

Audi's seem to be too trendy these days. The problem with trends is that everybody wants to be a part of it and before you know it, everybody and their dog has one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Congrats, Pops! I don't think you'll be sorry. As JTH mentioned, Audis need lots of care and feeding. I had very few issues with my '02 A6 4.2, but when I did getting them resolved was a major hassle. With that in mind, it looks like you made the right decision.

My RL has made me a happy camper after 5 weeks and 1,300 miles!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great Choice Pops...No need to look back now!

dseag2 said:
Congrats, Pops! I don't think you'll be sorry. As JTH mentioned, Audis need lots of care and feeding. I had very few issues with my '02 A6 4.2, but when I did getting them resolved was a major hassle. With that in mind, it looks like you made the right decision.

Good Point Dseag2: I too wanted the S4 convert. or an RS6. Both are amazing cars, but maybe too much trouble for this guy.

I hit 1200 miles this morning and I truly feel that my RL is becoming more and more an extension of me.

You will not regret this wonderful car. My first real drive in my RL was from N.C. to D.C. I got out of the car and felt like I had only driven home from work. The lack of fatigue was amazing!

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

C.J.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Choice Pops

Just got rid of my A6, for a 2005 RL, best thing I have ever done, and the Audi service guy who I came to know way to well agrees,

Loving my RL

·
Registered
6 Posts
dseag2 said:

I had an A8 in the past and it was one of the most unreliable car I've ever had. Although Audi makes nice cars, the reliability factor always gives me pause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
One of the best lines I've ever heard came from the Audi service advisor who said, "The Germans invent the technology and the Japanese perfect it." I don't have a clue why he told me that, but the messages I took away were 1) it can break in German cars and 2) wait until the Japanese introduce it on their cars and then buy. It's nice to know that, in the case of the RL, the Japanese also invented the technology this time around!

(FYI, the 2nd best line was... "I can't help it if it's taking a long time to repair your Audi. We're one of only 3 Audi dealerships in South Florida. We're busy!" They were saying that to another customer, not me, but I knew it was time to go Japanese.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts