Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know why Honda had to put two valve covers and gaskets on each head? Just two more leaky areas. Both of mine are really leaky now, and I was wondering if anyone bought gaskets from the dealer, and I wondered what type they sell (rubber or cork), also what sealer is recommended.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
colinc said:
Anyone know why Honda had to put two valve covers and gaskets on each head? Just two more leaky areas. Both of mine are really leaky now, and I was wondering if anyone bought gaskets from the dealer, and I wondered what type they sell (rubber or cork), also what sealer is recommended.

Thanks.
The reason for the two covers per head is due to the SOHC and the arrangement of the valves around a centrally located spark plug, among other design criteria.

I changed the both the gaskets and bolt seals and the covers don't leak, but they're still wet. I really don't care as I'm not losing a bunch of oil and it's not dripping all over the place.

The OEM gaskets are rubber; the side cover gaskets are similar to big o-rings.

Honda doesn't recommend any kind of sealer, at least none is mentioned in the shop manual. This shouldn't prevent you from using any if you choose to do so.

I did put a dab of GM spec silicone in the corners of the top covers where the gasket goes around the cam bosses at both ends of the cylinder head. I also used small amounts of this same stuff in a few places around the side cover to hold the o-ring in place while I positioned it onto the head.

If you do use silicone sealer, make sure to use an oxygen sensor safe sealer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Referencing Sealer, I am the complete opposite to Paulo.. I pulled my valve covers and instead of replacing the stupid gaskets and rubber seals (which the sides do not require as they are rubber), I sealed with Black RTV (or blue would be fine too) and mine don't leak at all. The prior puller had put rtv on them as well.

·
Hatin the rain already
599 Posts
Theres a right way to do things and then there's the cheap way. For about $11 a side you can get replacement gaskets that are black rubber and seal up great and should last about 150k miles. My experience in auto repair (working in a shop) is that RTV is only good for cheap fixes of helping new gaskets stay in place when the replacement part is applied. I am not downing you guys for using RTV but I question how long that repair will last. Good luck on your fix and the Acura dealer should have that part for you.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
full_stealth said:
Theres a right way to do things and then there's the cheap way. For about $11 a side you can get replacement gaskets that are black rubber and seal up great and should last about 150k miles. My experience in auto repair (working in a shop) is that RTV is only good for cheap fixes of helping new gaskets stay in place when the replacement part is applied. I am not downing you guys for using RTV but I question how long that repair will last. Good luck on your fix and the Acura dealer should have that part for you.
Chrysler, GM, Ford, Yamaha and some other manufacturers don't use gaskets for some sealing applications. They use RTV (or some form of RTV) instead. The primary reason is that it's just easier in an assembly line environment and they don't have to stock another gasket part number. I'm sure that they wouldn't do this if the seal would be compromised by using RTV alone.

My experince is that sealing with RTV lasts as long as a regular gasket seal. As long as you use an RTV that meets the manufacturer's specification, you'll be fine. Bathroom tub and tile silicone won't cut it. The problem I have with using RTV is that it's a pain to remove from parts it was applied to if they ever need to be separated at a later date.

If there's a gasket available, I don't see any reason not to use it.

BTW, Honda doesn't use gaskets to seal the transmission cases on the Legend, and this seal seems to be holding up for the long haul. My transmission isn't leaking yet.:)

·
Registered
293 Posts
I replaced all four gaskets with OEM Acura parts. Easy DIY job. Go ahead and replace the PCV and associated o-rings for the PCV cover also. No leaks. I highly recommend the Acura parts - fit perfect and I figure that the engineers at Acura now better than me what will keep the oil in.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I'll be replacing those this weekend.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the gaskets at the dealer today. Wow, they are really thin. Did you guys drain the oil before replacing them? Does alot of oil come out when you remove the covers?

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
There's no need to drain the oil <n/m>

n/m

·
Registered
293 Posts
No need to drain oil - nothing will come out when removing the covers. Need a rubber malet to break loose the covers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts