Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a DIY for replacing side and valve cover gaskets? I have searched some but cannot find a step by step. Is it as simple as: remove cover, replace gasket and put it back on?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
easy, two nuts on the farthest side of each valve cover (the H emblem is in the middle, look for a screw on each fatherest side of the cover) remove, and peel off the gasket, and put on a new one. voila! do the same for the one other side of the engine.

i havent done side gaskets, so im not sure bout doin those.

·
Registered
646 Posts
biyonic said:
They are like $17 for a valvecover gasket at Autozone but they don't come with the end gaskets/seals and grommets. Do you guys change those as well?
Not quite sure what these are...explain?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I had to ask the guy what they were as well. I guess there is a semicircular feature on the ends of the cover that gets gaskets seperate from the main gasket. Also, the two bolts on top of the cover each have a rubber grommet that can leak if not replaced. Anyone else shed some light on this?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Did mine today

Did my valve covers and the front side cover. Didn't do the rear because it's not leaking yet and looked like it was going to be super tough to get to. I took a couple of photos of the covers...front and back. Not much build up in the cover. Wish I had a picture before using auto-rx so that i could tell if it does anything. Oh well. the three gaskets took about 2 hours...I was going slow and taking my time. Rear cover is definately harder because of the extra attachments and tubes in the way during reinstallation. Hope it solves my burning oil smell.

Front

Rear

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just started the Auto-Rx process on my 90 Legend LS Coupe which looks very much like yours. Looks like you have the pearl white paint, right? If so, yours is the second one I have seen since I bought mine in 2000.

I took some pictures of my front valve cover and it is really ugly. I may be tempted to pull it again after the Auto-RX process and see if it gets any where near as clean as yours. Did you clean them at all before you did Auto-RX?

Already, after only a couple of hundred miles, my engine is smoother and seems to rev with less effort. Great stuff!

·
Registered
646 Posts
Sirius White Coupe said:
I just started the Auto-Rx process on my 90 Legend LS Coupe which looks very much like yours. Looks like you have the pearl white paint, right? If so, yours is the second one I have seen since I bought mine in 2000.

I took some pictures of my front valve cover and it is really ugly. I may be tempted to pull it again after the Auto-RX process and see if it gets any where near as clean as yours. Did you clean them at all before you did Auto-RX?

Already, after only a couple of hundred miles, my engine is smoother and seems to rev with less effort. Great stuff!
yep...tricolor pearl I think. Don't see too many like them.

As for the valvetrain...no cleaning on my part before the AutoRX.

i also vouch for the ARX...good stuff!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.