Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that the top of my rad always has some coolant on it. There is a little lip that connects the top piece to the rad core itself, and its always wet in a couple spots. The rad isn't that old, could it just be repaired, as I'm not prepared to spend the $$$ on a new OEM Rad.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
redlegend said:
I've noticed that the top of my rad always has some coolant on it. There is a little lip that connects the top piece to the rad core itself, and its always wet in a couple spots. The rad isn't that old, could it just be repaired, as I'm not prepared to spend the $$$ on a new OEM Rad.
Pinholes on the "top side rail" of your radiator is the cause of your slow leak redlegend... DITTO! as far as repair is concern. I myself went through the same experience with my last radiator, did everything I could think of, cleaned and flushed and used "radiator sealer" to no avail., did not bother with repair shop cause they'll just offer you new ones.

I found my replacement from the junkyard... took it to a different radiator repair shop, had it pressure/flow tested and all is good, that was last summer and still holding up with no leak.

New OEM radiator is way bit pricey 2me so opted the cheaper route :D

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, thats some good info! Could I risk blowing the rad if I neglect repairing it, as I'm heading outta town for a week of travelling just after christmas? as funds are somewhat tight this time of year.

· Registered
134 Posts
redlegend said:
Thanks, thats some good info! Could I risk blowing the rad if I neglect repairing it, as I'm heading outta town for a week of travelling just after christmas? as funds are somewhat tight this time of year.
just get a new one. I have a hook up so I get them for next to nothing but it isn't worth the head aches. Call 1-800-Radiator and you will get a good deal. Or just call autozone which will give you a really good deal. And make sure to change your radiator cap as well and with the right pressure.

Oops I didn't see you were from canada. They may not have the same auto parts places out there. But get a new one.

· Registered
4,259 Posts
redlegend said:
Could I risk blowing the rad if I neglect repairing it, as I'm heading outta town for a week of travelling.
In due time redlegend, yes... but not anytime soon, coolant loss is more of your concern, make sure you have reserve coolant readily available at all times, just to be on the safe side... happy holidays :)

· Registered
1,723 Posts
Is the radiator cap okay? Are you sure it's not leaking from the cap and settling on the lip? The reason I ask is because the radiator isn't that old and radiator caps are alot cheaper and easier to replace. You could have it pressure tested(both cap and cooling system) if you really want to leave no doubt.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn, 5 Speed, come to think of it, I did see a couple drops of coolant on the ran fan shroud a week or so ago, just never put 2 and 2 together. I'm headin to the city next week, so I'll buy an OEM rad cap. Mine seems to come off quite easily, shouldn't you have to press firmly, and it will be tight? just a thought I guess.....

· Registered
1,723 Posts
redlegend said:
Damn, 5 Speed, come to think of it, I did see a couple drops of coolant on the ran fan shroud a week or so ago, just never put 2 and 2 together. I'm headin to the city next week, so I'll buy an OEM rad cap. Mine seems to come off quite easily, shouldn't you have to press firmly, and it will be tight? just a thought I guess.....
Mine has never come off easily... I hope the radiartor cap is the problem, redlegend....less $$$ and headache at the wrong time of year. Hope you have a Merry Christmas!

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah wrong time of the year for breakdowns is right! I'm gonna take the cap off, clean the seal with WD-40 or something, and bend the 2 tabs down a little, so it grabs better. Have a Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for the help!

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

well my trip is over, almost 1000km's worth, and the coolant res. was half full when I left, and its to the min line now, so thats not bad. Now I think I'll go get it fixed. The new rad cap didn't hurt, but it still leaks.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Yea, i got the same problem with mine. I dont see any leaking but its so corroded and green, half the cooling fins are missing but it never goes above half gauge! Next summer shes getting another one. 1000 miles yesterday ... and she blew an inner CV joint!

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

I decided it was time to have a closer look at this problem:
-Removed rad and fans
-Checked fans for any damage
-Took rad to repair shop, they pressure tested it, and everything else they do, they said it was perfect shape.
-Take it home, install fans and rad.
-Install NEW upper and lower hoses and hose clamps.
-fill with Honda premixed coolant.
-drive it for a couple days, same problem. I still see coolant in the same places. I'm stumped, can someone help me? Its not a big issue, as it doesn't leak much, just that I want things workin 100%

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I imagine a little silocone around where the spout goes into the rad itself might stop it for a while..or JB weld...

· Registered
1,292 Posts
Just a couple of suggestions: did you check the connection and hose going to the overflow tank? might be cracked a bit. Try cleaning the top of the rad area off ...then let the car idle til it gets good and warm ...and keep an eye on what's happening. Try wrapping some paper towel around where the cap goes on, and where the top hose is connected to the rad ...the paper towel will quickly show up any leaks.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
redlegend said:
I imagine a little silocone around where the spout goes into the rad itself might stop it for a while..or JB weld...
Let your radiator repair shop look at it for a day or two to see if they can find the problem. Did you change the hoses going to the collant reservoir also ??

· Registered
2,316 Posts
Heres a possible theroy: Could the heat from the coolant cause a small hole to only leak when the radiator becomes hot? Mine only leaks when its hot. I can see the green coolant around the top sill. Have you seen where its leaking from or just leaking spots on the ground. When the car is hot try looking to see if you can see a wet spot. Pay close attention to both the bottom and top resivors.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey all...I have changed all hosees, 1990Legend_LS_5spd, I think your right about the heat effecting the leaking. Coolant only sit on the sill when its at operating temp. I blew off all the coolant this morning, and I can see a few hairline cracks, I'm gonna go get some JB weld this aft, should seal er up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.