Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Go**a keep *he r*de fresh
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil pan is leaking oil from a very small crack in my oil pan that is maybe 1 centimeter (max) in size. I almost couldn't see the crack when I was looking for the source of the leak. Everytime I wiped the pan clean, it looked like the pan would just gradually get wet seemingly from nowhere. That's how small it is.

However small it may be, it still leaks oil like a mother... Can anone suggest a way to fix this problem without replacing the oil pan altogether?

As always, your help is greatly appreciated. :bowdown:

Alex III

·
Registered
185 Posts
1) You can replace it.

2) You can JB-Weld it. JB-Weld is a two part epoxy if don't already know. If you go this route, you have to make sure there is no residual oil in the crack first. Then clean the surface and the crack with solvent to ensure it is oil free before putting the epoxy on it. Then you must wait at least 24 hours for the epoxy to completely cure before use.

3) Maybe the best way. Find a good welding shop and have them TIG weld the crack.

·
Go**a keep *he r*de fresh
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping either option 2) or 3) (JB weld or spot weld) were viable options. I am glad to hear a professional confirm that I wasn't crazy for thinking those are viable options.

·
Registered
185 Posts
alboogie said:
I was hoping either option 2) or 3) (JB weld or spot weld) were viable options. I am glad to hear a professional confirm that I wasn't crazy for thinking those are viable options.
I'm a professional. But not in automobiles. :D I'm only following logical thinking. A lot of times, when we post questions, we already have a hunch on what needs to be done, but still wanted a bit of encouragement/confirmation from others whom may have done it before. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
The TIG welding is best fix, the JB Epoxy is a little more tricky and will not take the same abuse that a real weld offers (flex and vibration that is constant, large temperature variation, oil contamination getting behind the epoxy and loosening it, etc.). Still requires removal and good prep to do it right.

·
Faster than yo Legend son
1,041 Posts
you don't even have to do all of that its some type of sealent you can put on from the outside. and it will seal the leak and that will be it. no more leaks.. I guy iused that on my car before but I forgot what it was.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jb Weld

At my shop, a guy came in with a 93 sedan, not great condition, but he had a cracked oil pan, crack was small in the front (about 2 inches along the curve going up to the filter) but still needed to be fixed. He didnt have enough money to replace it so I used the JB Weld to seal the crack and let it dry for about 20-30 hours. I put it on the lift and it was fine, i put some extra high temp. silicone on it just to add some protection. Car is fine and has been driving good as always ever since i did the job... Also depends on size and position of crack... But, its a good idea to do it this way...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.