Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have this where did you get it? was it through Dali racing? and how long did it take to get?
I want to buy one of these NOW, I'm sick and tired of my antenna farting everytime I turn my CD player on and off. I barely listen if ever to my radio. Please advise, thanks

G

·
Do what I did then, just disconnect the antenna motor. You will still get reception. I actually can't even tell a difference. Then again I rarely listen to the radio. It's worth it though to not have the antenna go up anymore. Just pull the carpet back in the trunk and disconnet the plug.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
I have a switch wired to mine so I can kill it when I don't need it.

You have a secondary antenna on your rear windshield, so you will still be able to get reception without the mast antenna, however, I believe that it's weaker. Not a problem if you don't really listen to the radio.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that second antenna a back up? like a default? cause I went and disconnected mines last night and yes I still get reception not as good as before but its good enough considering I don't listen to the radio. Thanks again fellas ya just saved me $50 on an smart antenna.....;)

G

·
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the reception considering how much better it looks with the antenna down. I hope that the NSX guys no this trick cause their cars look real funny with the antennas up since they go up so high.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Yes, I believe it's called a diversity antenna system. The antennae are not active at the same time. It's a system that is designed to continually evaluate the signals from each of the two antennae and choose the stronger one. This allows for better continuous reception.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And so your saying that now my radio will go off of the second (window) antenna only, since I disconnected the main one.

and yes NSX's look real funny with that big'o whip looking antenna, it makes the car look like a remote control, I look on the side walk to see if there will be someone standing there with a controller in hand:p

·
I'van der Rohe
12,824 Posts
is this only on 94s and 95s because my antennea is blowing me it wont go down all the way and farts horiibly when the car is shut off.

G

·
Bang&Olufsen DK said:
is this only on 94s and 95s because my antennea is blowing me it wont go down all the way and farts horiibly when the car is shut off.
If your antenna won't go down all the way then just push it down really hard while supporting it so that it won't bend. This is what I did. And then disconnect the cable so that it won't go up. Because mine would go up but not down. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can someone be more specific on where the antenna cord is and how it is removed. Is the coupe different from the sedan?

Thanks,

-TypeIICoupe

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would think its all the same, all you do is pull the trunk lining back on the side where the antenna is located and you will see the antenna motor and one of the first things you'll see is the grey plug, just unplug it and tadaaaaahhhh I believe its only one plug to pull, then turn on the the radio to test, no more farting.

G

·
They are the same. Just pull back the lining, and you will see it, you can't miss it. It's the cord that connects to the antenna :p.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Geez, I can't believe it!
You can reach the base of the antenna by either pulling back the trunk liner/carpet from the top or by taking out the box and working from the bottom. Unplugging the antenna is easy. The antenna wire is a coaxial (big) single wire. Leave it alone. The power for the antenna comes in through a 3 wire connector. There is a catch/latch on the outside that has to be pushed in releasing the connector.
I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! I live in the middle of nowhere and no loss of stations or signal without the whining and farting antenna going up and down every time I turn the darn car on.
The correct answer is to put a switch in, probably up front by the head end. See the Haynes or Helm manual for the wiring chart. But just unplugging the power works for me. It is a coupe, don't know about sedans but presume they are similar.

·
oLd fArT - yOuNg At HeArT
108 Posts
For those who still want info on the SmarTenna, here it is:

Purchased from:
Bryan Zublin (Zublin Engineering)
4772 Mt. Casas Drive
San Diego, CA 92117
(619) 292-9727
[email protected]

Cost me $55.00 (3 years ago)

Works great and has for last 3 years! Installs in 10 minutes. Automatically lowers antenna when output from CD player detected (note: for use with trunk-mounted CD players). Raises antenna if head unit power is on and CD player not playing.

The entire unit is about the size of a pack of cigarettes and tucks nicely into the corner next to the antenna motor.

Completely reversible.

·
Yaozer *n *he A*k
311 Posts
REally? there's a FM antenna in the rear windshield? I thought it was the rear window defogger thing? All the newer Hondas seem to have it, but since ours has the retractable then didn't realize there be a 2ndary one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts