Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i have a compaq presario 2100 1.8ghz AMD, and since yesterday everytie i boot it, the first that pops up is "SMART has failed and it's recommended you back up your files and replace the hardisc" so what do i do? buy a new harddrive?

also, i found a great site for you XP users. www.tweakxp.com

·
AKA Smartjay28
5,668 Posts
aznman007 said:
ok, i have a compaq presario 2100 1.8ghz AMD, and since yesterday everytie i boot it, the first that pops up is "SMART has failed and it's recommended you back up your files and replace the hardisc" so what do i do? buy a new harddrive?

also, i found a great site for you XP users. www.tweakxp.com
go to the BIOS on startup(its the first thing when you start your computer)
then go to "enable SMART etc etc" some crap like that.
since you have a factory built system, i cant remember wat the key was to get to the BIOS.

good luck

·
Premium Member
9,314 Posts
smartjay28 said:
go to the BIOS on startup(its the first thing when you start your computer)
then go to "enable SMART etc etc" some crap like that.
since you have a factory built system, i cant remember wat the key was to get to the BIOS.

good luck
i dont even think theres like 1 set key that all manufacturers use...some use Del, some use one of the F keys (like F12)

when you boot up, it should tell you what key to push

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i have a little program that tells me that my reallocated Sector Count is failing....buti'm wondering if i can save my hard drive (toshiba hard drive 40 gig) by doing a zero fill in, or someting like that. mannnnnnnnnn compaq suckssssssssss

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
aznman007 said:
well i have a little program that tells me that my reallocated Sector Count is failing....buti'm wondering if i can save my hard drive (toshiba hard drive 40 gig) by doing a zero fill in, or someting like that. mannnnnnnnnn compaq suckssssssssss
I would backup your data as soon as you can. Is your computer out of warranty? Can you run a hard drive diagnostic? On the Dell laptops, when you run that, it also re-calibrates the drive.
You say that Compaq sucks, but they did not manufacture that hard drive. ;)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Hard Drive is failing.....

There's a program that shows u the values in a DOS like environment (Bootable flopy/CD) and graphs and such, I have it on DISC not sure if i can extract it.....

Give me a day or two and i'll see if i can get it outta the see or find the just the program itself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.