Acura Legend Forum banner

Smoke from tailpipe, Bad Valve Guides?

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  RAP 
#1 ·
My car smokes out the tailpipe pretty bad. If the car sits runing then i drive it smokes. But then when i drive it quits. I've heard that our valve guides go bad after about 100,000 miles. Any experienced knowledge about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Adam

#10 ·
smoky joe

my 91 sedan with 180K on it would do the exact same thing. If you sat for awhile and then drove it would puff out a nice cloud of smoke, but it never smoked while idling or while driving...

I used, because I couldn't afford to really fix it, slick 50 "FOR HIGH MILEAGE VEHICLES". ALL my smoke went away!! Runs about $14 at Wally World. I will admit that I had to keep adding it verses just one treatment. I also never noticed a loss of power due to the smoke.

#11 ·
stevieray said:
I concur with Dave---had the same problem. Replaced valve stem seals & no more smoke. 'Bout $1300 for that one.... :(
This post is doing double duty, first to see if an old post such as this one will go through without stirring up the dead bodies :D , and really for some info.

Stevieray, did your repair shop change the seals with the heads in place or did they remove the heads? I'm thinking that this repair can be done without removing the heads and removing just the valve springs and seals as I have described in a couple of my recent post. For that amount of cash it seems like the job was done with heads removed. Your ideas and experience???

Thanks RAP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.