Acura-legend.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some of you are running smoked lenses. I'd like to get input on the type of product you used as well as how it affects the emitted light. It appears that most, if not all, have used VHT Nite Shade. At this point, I plan to use that as well, but would like to know about other products if you've tried them.

I'm not using them for any exterior lenses, but need to be able to match the clarity and color of factory smoked polycarbonate.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
vht, when applied correctly, is definately the best choice. I have done about 10 sets of taillights and I hve been able to make it come out very nice. If you are smoking a lense that is completely clear you will need to go fairly dark to make it look smooth but the light output should still be pretty bright. What type of light are you looking to smoke?

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. It's just a lens that I will be overlaying one of my "racing" gauges, and I need to have it clear enough for me to read the gauge when it is lit as well as match the smoke on my other gauges.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i'm not sure that the nightshades would be the best idea for that application. If it was mine I would look into getting some scraps of various darknesses of window tint from a local tint shop and use whichever one looked the best. I think the niteshades will cause some distortion in the clear lense (almost like transparent orange peel, which could make it hard to read) whereas tint would not

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah... Orange peel. Hadn't thought of it. Thing about using film is that I've heard that there is an issue with the lexan/plexi releasing gases that cause bubbling of the film.

·
GS Hog
7,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 3 gauges; two are "black face" which come with smoked lenses, and one has a clear lens. I have to make a single smoked lens for the clear one to get them to match.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
sounds like tint will be your safest bet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts