Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at this Legend coupe tomorrow. I caleld the guy up and he tells me about it. The ad say its for a "1992 Acura Legend GS coupe." MAde me laugh at first. So then after calling, he says its a late model 1991 Legend GS coupe with the the Type II engine. I hold myself from laughing as I talk to him. So when I go look at it tomorrow, how can I confirm? Either it is a 1993 and he doesnt know the difference, or he is trying to sell his 1991 off as a Type II. Where is the manufacturing badge located, where I can look at the manufacure date? How can I confirm its a Type II other than the badge on the engine? Oh, he also says its a 6-speed? So now he has really got me spooked. Some offer me some advice. Thanks :confused:

·
Premium Member
9,173 Posts
OK, write this information down. The 10th digit of the VIN # will be a letter m,n,p,r,s. This designates the model year of the car. To check if it is a type II engine, just look at the intake (the silver thing between the two black plastic pieces) On a Type I engine, there is nothing, on a Type II engine, there's a little Type II symbol that's raised up a little bit. Don't worry, you won't miss it. I'd worry more about the idiot that's selling the car.

1991(M)
1992(N)
1993(P)
1994(R)
1995(S)

G

·
Maybe it's a one of a kind ;)

Take a picture of the VIN Number, the engine, the gearbox, the rear, the front, and the side.

We should be able from those pics tell you what it is, unless it's a 91 coupe with a Type-II engine swap, and 6-speed transmission swap :D. Hehehe

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks man! Well he says hes a real estate agent. I have a feeling he might sell cars on the side, and looking at what he has told me, he doesnt know much about the car at all. So either he can screw me over, or I can get a good deal over him. So well see. He says the car has a new transmission and clutch. But what other problems should i be looking for if it is a 93 coupe? Thanks

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Get the VIN # and I'll check it for you!
This really seems like a strange beast that none of us knows about - !!!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
ILOVELEGEND said:
Get the VIN # and I'll check it for you!
This really seems like a strange beast that none of us knows about - !!!
hey maybe it's a hybrid like 91:D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just open the driver's door and check out the Certification label in the door jamb. That label will have the VIN # and the month/year the car was manufactured.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Besides the LT door label, and the dash VIN plate, the VIN is also stamped onto the dash panel (under hood behind motor).

·
0000$$$$0000####0000
4,943 Posts
If he thinks it is a GS, then it probably is a 93 year and a LS model. Check for the "P" in the VIN # for 93, and the "1" for the manual and the "7" for the LS trim. Also, print out a Kelly Blue book value for the 91 and 92 LS Coupes so you can bargin for a good price on the 93 if it actually is a 93.

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
Chris there was a guy a while back on ebay selling a GS Coupe. I ran a vin check it was a 93 L Coupe TypeII.

He claimed it had 240HP. I emailed him the VIN check results, and links to TypeII motor HP, he never responded. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts