Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pressed my alarm button, and the sound was weak. I didn't think of it much. Then I opened the door and I didn't hear the door sucker (I have a coupe), but I thought I was just going crazy. Then I go turn the ignition and after a brief moment of lights on the dash, everything goes blank. What the hell could be going on? I haven't even done anything out of the ordinary. I would love for anybody who's had a similar problem in the past help me out as I need this car for my daily driver. What are things that I can check? I have no clue right now, but to start at the battery (which I have had an Optima Red Top for a little over a year). Any sound and logical advice will be greatly appreciated.

·
Matthew is THE USER!
1,685 Posts
does the car turn over and then just die?
or just completely not turn on what so ever

alternator? if the car struggles to do anything electrical

fuel pump relay if the car turns over and just dies and u have trouble turning it over

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
If your battery is still in good charge then probably you have dirty terminal connections, they would have very low current draw for cranking attempt, check them out first ...

·
I want K-Sports..
1,427 Posts
well is the battery dead? Have you tried jumping it? There may have been a current draw while you last left it. As in map light, door, etc.. If you can jump it then we'll know you were loosing power somewhere, if not map lights etc then a loose amp connection (remote wire)?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I know. I haven't checked anything yet as I was in a hurry to get to school. I just came on here just to ask anything that I can potentially look at once I get home. But the battery is the first thing that I will check. I really hope that the battery is the culprit as that'll be an easier fix. But sux that it's an 150 dollar red top optima. I have a voltmeter so that'll be of use too.

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,834 Posts
not to beat a dead horse, but my guess is that it's your terminals since your battery is only a year old.

clean up those terminals, redo the connections, and then retry

edit:

thought about this some more while in line for lunch:

you said nothing, no crank, nada....I think a dead battery would at least give you that little click sound. So also check this...when you turn the key to the accessory position (right before crank), do you have dash lights then? how about the radio...can you get that on?

next culprit could be the ignition switch...I've seen at least 5 threads about them in the last few months (and I just changed the switch in my '94 too)

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not to beat a dead horse, but my guess is that it's your terminals since your battery is only a year old.

clean up those terminals, redo the connections, and then retry

edit:

thought about this some more while in line for lunch:

you said nothing, no crank, nada....I think a dead battery would at least give you that little click sound. So also check this...when you turn the key to the accessory position (right before crank), do you have dash lights then? how about the radio...can you get that on?

next culprit could be the ignition switch...I've seen at least 5 threads about them in the last few months (and I just changed the switch in my '94 too)
I really don't think it's the terminals. They're relatively clean, and i've seen dirtier cars and they start right up. But I'll try this too when I get home.

No lights at all. No sign of power anywhere. Door suckers aren't there, no dash lights, no courtesy lights, nothing. It felt as if a main fuse was blown, if there even is a main fuse. Like I said above, right when i turned the key this morning, lights came on very quick, then BLANK, like a short circuit. Everything was dead after that. According to that symptom, it couldn't be ignition switch, since lights did flash for a second when I turned it. That's my thinking.

If it were a battery, it should turn, but doing so weak, correct? I've had a drained battery before and it does not present this way currently.

This sux, i'm in class, and i can't stop thinking about my legend. Any other possibilities that you guys can think of?

·
I want K-Sports..
1,427 Posts
no, a REALLY dead battery will not make any noise upon turning the key.

You also mention there were lights then everything went off. Check the fuse box on the driver side of the engine bay. There is a main fuse in there.

·
FRISCO LEGEND BABY!!!!
9,585 Posts
Well he could have blown a fuse cause if you had lights on before it went out, the dead battery won't cause the lights to go out fast. The lights would start getting dimmer and dimmer until theres no light. Check the fuses under the hood and on the driver side kick panel that is related to power like alternator, ignition, ect.... Hope you find the problem.

·
Premium Well Wisher
2,834 Posts
oh yea...I'm a goof. when I had a bad ignition switch, it would crank all day and catch just like normal, but the second you let go of the key it would go dead (like you're out of gas)

so that's not it...and I think with Main Relay problem would be intermittent at first and also would not show the symptoms you list IIRC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.