Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
I dunno know... I'm glad that the name LEGEND no longer appears in the states.

I think Acura lost touch with their market segment, at least in the RL's case. The RL has been around for 7 years now and I still see more G1 Legends driving around then I see RL's... at least in CT anyway. I see a lot of G2's as well.

I'm trying not to be sterotypical but on the rare occasion that I see an RL, the driver is certainly not young by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps that was Acura's goal but I won't buy an RL until they pick up where they left of with the Legend.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
LiasLegend said:
I dunno know... I'm glad that the name LEGEND no longer appears in the states.

I think Acura lost touch with their market segment, at least in the RL's case. The RL has been around for 7 years now and I still see more G1 Legends driving around then I see RL's... at least in CT anyway. I see a lot of G2's as well.

I'm trying not to be sterotypical but on the rare occasion that I see an RL, the driver is certainly not young by any stretch of the imagination. Perhaps that was Acura's goal but I won't buy an RL until they pick up where they left of with the Legend.
When the legend first came out and during it's first 7 years, the owner and driver were definitely not young either. Both Legend and RL were designed for upper middle aged business men, it was never intended to target the younger segement of the market.

Only until recently when the price of used Legends dropped by a significant amount, that's when the average age of the legend owners also dropped. I'm pretty sure that majority of the owners here are second hand owners and the person whom we purchased the legend from are a lot older in comparision.

I'm sure the new vehicles will continue the same trend as price drop, driver age drops too.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That's exactly right and I think that most tend to forget that, lets face it these cars aren't intended to appeal to the young thats the job for Integra/RSX, TL/CL the main reason the RL has failed with the upper mid aged is not design but the lack of a RWD V8 period. The RL has everything everyone else has (BMW/MB/LEXUS) in fact more comes on the RL as standard equipment then the rest of the 3 and is more reliable, tied with Lexus. The RL gets great reviews in all the auto magazines, I mean lets be fair ok, get into the RL and check it out feature to feature amentiy to amenity the interior fit and finish is just as nice as a Lexus, BMW no MB hmm well close but its nice, not as roomy as those but nice the car is not bad its just the design too conservative but for the mid age guys with 45-55k in their pockets for that kinda money it has to have a v8 and one should be able to cross their legs in the back seat without kicking the front seats. And so these guys (who RL wants to target) go the way of the big 3 BMW/Lexus/MB instead.. Thats my honest abservation.

·
Registered
275 Posts
My point is this... I'm finally able to afford a car in the RL's price range but do you think that the RL is at the top of my list, or even on my list for that matter?

Granted when either the G1 or the G2 Legend was in it's hay day, I didn't see many, if any kids driving them. However I did see a lot more of them than I do the RL.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I feel, and this is just my feelings. If you do want to get an RL get a 2001 or 2002 they made a few changes that makes them more palatable design wise, they actually look somewhat nice in the darker colors. 42k without Navi 45k with. after this generation of RL's this will be a thing of the pass you will not find anymore luxury imports of this caliper under 45k new once the RL gets the supposed V8. So if power is not an issue and your ok with a strong 210 HP and its design then I say go for it other wise for that price and caliper of luxury its used but you get a V8, 98-01 LS 400 used (good clean one low miles) around 38-45k / 98-01 BMW 740I or IL 40-50k / 95-01 MB S320 28-45k depending on miles then you have the Q45 you can find a very nice one under 40k if look around, low retail. So as you can see you can get a 2002 RL brand spankin new off the lot fully loaded with Navi for the price of most used Luxury cars. Its all in what you can live with. I went through all this last year. I was getting ready to trade the Legend, the wife wanted something brand new so off to the Acura dealership we went and we compared the Rl to all the rest of the Big Import flagships and really you cant get any better in value and quality than the RL in all honesty, do the homework and you'll see that your self, but going from a GS to RL just seemed to be regression to us we felt the defference in power right off the top not that the RL was sluggish no, but you do miss the extra 20hp when you get down on it. Needless to say we decided to keep the GS, maybe if the car wasn't designed so conservatively I could live with it or if it was 250HP I could of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts