Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys

I sold my 89 Legend today... they didnt like the cd player not working nor the power window on the driver side, they offerd me a $1,000 for it, and i took it:( for some reason i always thought when i drove it, it was always going to break on me, i hope it dosent on them, and have them come back to my house or threatin or kill me.... seriously those guys looked the type i pray that it runs good for them.

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
sucks you didn't get the full $1200 you wanted, what did you list it at?

as long as it doesn't break within the first week or so, then you're clear. also, if they signed an as is bill of sale, you're good.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no i didnt have them sign an as is bill.... so what happens if I didnt do that? and i wanted 1300 for it but he said he'll give me 1,000 so i went ahead and took it... i thought once i hand him the title over and he gives me the cash i thought that was it? man can someone explain to me?

·
because i can.
10,426 Posts
You really should cover yourself asap whenever selling a used car, and having something signed by both seller and buyer stating "as is" and "no guarantee, no cool off period" can go a long way....

I dont know about Texas, but here when you sell a car, you have to submit a "Release of Liability" to the state ASAP....so that way if your buyer abandons the car and/or doesnt complete the title transfer, it is on record that you had sold the car to this person and its their problem and not yours!

·
Mr. X (aka #5)
4,591 Posts
You really should cover yourself asap whenever selling a used car, and having something signed by both seller and buyer stating "as is" and "no guarantee, no cool off period" can go a long way....

I dont know about Texas, but here when you sell a car, you have to submit a "Release of Liability" to the state ASAP....so that way if your buyer abandons the car and/or doesnt complete the title transfer, it is on record that you had sold the car to this person and its their problem and not yours!
yeah, we have that. you have to pick it up from the local DPS office, its in the title/tax area, form....let me check on that.

its Form 130-U i have 3 of them in my neon just in case i end up selling it one day (i was trying to sell it before). no need to wait in line, just simply walk into the tax area and walk over to the spinning rack of forms, itll be there. call up the buyer and ask him to come fill out the form for you, say you must've have forgotten, make up some lame excuse.

·
Old enough to be your Dad
248 Posts
I have a brother-in-law that sold an old POS caddy for like $100 bucks. A while later, he was contacted by cops in the next state over that he was liable for the impound fees since it got abandoned. My brother-in-law signed over the title and took the cash, but did not report it sold. His big loss. It's kind of like a cheap car rental for some folks.

I have also heard at the very least you should copy the signed off title with the new owner's info on it if you can. You can also get their license and write down all the info.

Here in WA, you can immediately go on-line and report a sale. The as-is declaration is also a very good idea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.