Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 138k on a 91 automatic

overall the car runs great but in the past 2 days 2 things have happened. i was driving to work this morning on the highway and noticed my temp guage was pinned at hot, i exited and turned the car off but left the ignition on and i heard and saw the fans running when i opened the hood. the coolant wasnt boiling in the reservoir and the engine was by no means hotter than usual. is this common for the guage or did a connection come disconnected somewhere?

which leads me to my next issue, the idle is bouncing from 1k to 1750 rpm when cold. i glanced under the hood while it was happeneing but dont really know what to look for first of all and i didnt see anything obvious. any help would be appreciated

thanks

·
Registered
169 Posts
along the lines of his question... what should a person do once he realizes that the car is overheating or about to overheat? i was wondering now that summer is approaching?

·
Registered
423 Posts
First off al look for leaks from a hose or radiator. Check the resavoir level. Hav a pressure test done at ur nearest shop. Ask around, someone should do it for free. it only takes about 2 minutes. The put a pressure tool on the opening of the rad and c if air is coming out. Don't drive so much when needle goes to hot b/c u might mess up the head gasket. Go to search forums and type in radiators, u'll find more tips. Good luck.

Latin.................

·
Registered
423 Posts
First off al look for leaks from a hose or radiator. Check the resavoir level. Hav a pressure test done at ur nearest shop. Ask around, someone should do it for free. it only takes about 2 minutes. The put a pressure tool on the opening of the rad and c if air is coming out. Don't drive so much when needle goes to hot b/c u might mess up the head gasket. Go to search forums and type in radiators, u'll find more tips. Good luck.

Latin.................

·
Registered
595 Posts
I would suspect a blown headgasket....I am currently in the process of replacing mine. Check your coolant level in the overflow tank, if it is fuller than max you are pretty much sure of a failed headgasket. These motors are getting notorious for failing in the +130K range. Ususally cyl #3 develops a leak between the cyl and the waterjacket surrounding the cylinder, this leak forces exhaust gasses through your cooling system and pushes the coolant out. The surging idle can be a factor of the temp sensors giving bad reading to the ECU putting it in cold run and\or warm run mode. My surge was smaller than you describe but it was there. Hate to be the bringer of doom and gloom but I have a feeling thats what it is. Best luck in your repairs!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I thought most HG problems were directly related to failure of radiators operating properly. So many ppl seem to get their Legends easily over 200k, without ever having a HG prob.

Same goes for the Integras, they seem to be plagued with the same problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im with LegendC on this one... I am in the midst of this very same problem... It all started about 9 months ago when all of the sudden out of nowhere I noticed the temp guage go hot for a minute then as quickly as it came it was gone... I checked my coolant levels and noticed it was a little bit low so i filled her up and didnt hear a peep again for another month or so... then it happened again and the time between these episodes quickly went from something that didnt happen often to the point that it happened daily...

Some things to look for.. Like Legend C said check your radiator overflow and see if the excess anti-freeze is there... that happened to me it would build up that pressure and when it released it just blew out all the anti-freeze into the overflow tank.. also when you notice it overheating pay close attention to the needle and see if it goes to hot then back to normal relatively quickly... a car that overheats due to a thermostat or something like that doesnt cool down quick at all.... with head gasket failure that i have noticed in my legend it goes up then comes down very fast once it releases the pressure....

So... with all said and done I just said F-it and replaced the whole motor... nothing like a crispy fresh engine...

Hope I helped out,

Vito

·
Registered
169 Posts
any suggested preventative mesures for the head gasket problem? my legend is hitting around 160,000 miles and im kind of anticipating the day i see this happen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well unfortunately I am beginning to think more and more that Head Gasket failure is a common thing amongst Legends with high mileage and I can't really think of anything that a person could do to actually prevent it from happening

However, I'm sure I contributed to the problem with the head gaskets failing on my car... I have a 50 shot of NOS and tend to have a "drive it like you stole it" outlook while I'm on the streets. So one thing for sure is that if you want it to last then don't beat the S$*T out of it... It took me finding out the hard way.

:D Vito

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm sure the issue is a combination of many factors. The radiators are an known issue with their plastic tops. I'm sure the inital overheating caused by the radiator weakens an already weakly designed HG. I say weakly designed because the shop that diagnosed my car has seen 6 legends with HG failure and they were all cyl #3. I will try and post a pic put the actual leak is only 1/8 to 1/4 inch long. All the HG failures were over 120k and in the case of my coupe and his coupe both happend at 135k. It has gotten to the point that he no longer considers higher milage legends for resale because of the warrentee risk they present his business.

As far as I know there is no preventative maintenance for the HG problem. The only option other than OEM would be a solid copper HG but they run 330 a side form Paeco. On the bright side my heads came back from the shop. Im lighter $520 but they are milled true, 3 angle valve job, magnafluxed, cleaned, and have 2 hours worth of porting @$60.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Not trying to start anything, just another look. I think Future X is correct. From most of the old post on the subject, gasket failure comes mainly from radiator problem unfixed. I am no expert but this is what I have read and hopefully experienced.

My 94 L did that same overheating for a second trick @ 128K right after I bought it. I read everything on the forum, called my mechanic and replaced the radiator and TB. Problem gone. Check it out in past post, hope it helps somebody.

Mike

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse but I had my faulty radiator fixed within 3 days of the first overheating incident and still had my HG go over 35K later.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sorry
Hope I have a different experience. Seems like most don't have the problem, time will tell and I'll be watching and saving my money.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts