Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sitting around a bunch of so called mechanics (shade tree) and the one guy suggested to me that I should put Nos in my ride...I suggested to him that he should stick Nos somewhere else....My thing against Nos is, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that it will clog up fuel injectors and or the fuel filter with extensive use.....It will also cause some harm to the performance of the engine, in turn which will cost some bucks to fix....I told him I'd rather wait on the headers........His only argument for Nos is that I will have a better chance in racing some of the more faster cars that I had problems with in the past(Lex LS 400, Seville, 5 Series BMW..) and with preventive maintenance I could catch these problems that I named earlier........Holla Back, I really need to hear from my forum brothers.....

·
*r**h *eller
1,920 Posts
Well NOS is not going to clog anything in the fuel system. NOS injects directly into the intake tube or manifold. It can be risky to use if you don't tune it right. You could get a super lean condition and burn up your pistons. Use one of the "intelligent" systems like ZEX and you're good to go. Easy HP.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Dave C ver2.0 said:
Well NOS is not going to clog anything in the fuel system. NOS injects directly into the intake tube or manifold. It can be risky to use if you don't tune it right. You could get a super lean condition and burn up your pistons. Use one of the "intelligent" systems like ZEX and you're good to go. Easy HP.
I second that. Just watch your fuel and go with a colder plug.

·
Sleek And Low
249 Posts
wTnLeGeNd said:
what all should i do if i get a nos kit? i get them for 380 a full kit
The new NOS kits come complete with the fuel pressure regulator, microswitch, and fuel cutoff switch. All of the safety items are included to prevent damage to your motor from the lean condition mentioned earlier. It's a quality kit, and at a better price than ZEX.

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
whiplash9001 said:
I'm sitting around a bunch of so called mechanics (shade tree) and the one guy suggested to me that I should put Nos in my ride...I suggested to him that he should stick Nos somewhere else....My thing against Nos is, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that it will clog up fuel injectors and or the fuel filter with extensive use.....It will also cause some harm to the performance of the engine, in turn which will cost some bucks to fix....I told him I'd rather wait on the headers........His only argument for Nos is that I will have a better chance in racing some of the more faster cars that I had problems with in the past(Lex LS 400, Seville, 5 Series BMW..) and with preventive maintenance I could catch these problems that I named earlier........Holla Back, I really need to hear from my forum brothers.....
Well if you insulted that guy, it best if you came up with an apology, because NOS will NOT Clog anything as Dave C already has mentioned. ITs a gas, not flamable, but an oxidizer. Esecially its A cold burst of thin air.

On a well maintained Legend a 60 shot will, do nothing but add ponies. A 70 shot has proved to do no harm either. its the 100+ were the Exhaust gasses get so HOT that they can backfire in our retardedly designed LOG exhaust manifolds, with small outlet ports, so small that the gasses cant escape quick enough. End result is Boom.

[email protected] 1/4Mi.
NOS

~Hybrid

·
Registered
595 Posts
Bringing up from the dead...

I'm getting ready to run a Zex 100 shot on a Type II coupe with P&P heads, Bayou II, WR intake and Remus. Is this at the safe threshold or past it?

·
Life Ruiner
4,701 Posts
Im getting ready to shoot 100 shot direct port on a ported and polished type II among many other things, im seeing 12's

60 shot nothing has to be done youll get about 40 extra WHP
just make sure you keep matinence on you ride.

~Hybrid

·
Registered
839 Posts

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
Nos is the dumbest way to get extra hp. The only time you use it, is for racing....so if thats ALL you used your car for. you only get the extra power for a matter of seconds....a turbo would be a much better idea, and it would do less harm to your engine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
rangerjoe said:
Nos is the dumbest way to get extra hp. The only time you use it, is for racing....so if thats ALL you used your car for. you only get the extra power for a matter of seconds....a turbo would be a much better idea, and it would do less harm to your engine.
:rolleyes:

Nos is among the safest ways to add power because it is not always on and continously putting additional stress on the motor. You talk about turbo like its actually an option....I'm not dumping 6g's into a custom setup that will net me the same as a $500 nitrous.

Whats wrong with it not being available all the time? The only time you should ever be spraying is OFF the public roads and at the TRACK...IMHO.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
turbos will ALWAYS give you more power. nitrous only gives you power for a few seconds.

and of course nos isnt better for your engine, ESP without modification of gaskets and whatnot. all a turbo will do, is put more air into the cylinders at a certain point. nitrous makes your engine burn A WHOLE LOT HOTTER than it is supposed to. thats what it does. a turbo will not make the engine run much hotter, because if you are halfway intelligent, you will have an intercooler.

also, if you are halfway intelligent, you wont put the boost at 20 or something.

the only thing the turbo will change, is the compression. it puts more air into the cylinder. the only way the tranny is effected, is if you try and add 150hp, in that case, you might have to get a better clutch. but you will have problems with gaskets before you have tranny problems. any good turbo kit will come with those upgraded parts though.

·
Wha*ever ** *akes
2,543 Posts
rangerjoe said:
turbos will ALWAYS give you more power. nitrous only gives you power for a few seconds.

and of course nos isnt better for your engine, ESP without modification of gaskets and whatnot. all a turbo will do, is put more air into the cylinders at a certain point. nitrous makes your engine burn A WHOLE LOT HOTTER than it is supposed to. thats what it does. a turbo will not make the engine run much hotter, because if you are halfway intelligent, you will have an intercooler.

also, if you are halfway intelligent, you wont put the boost at 20 or something.

the only thing the turbo will change, is the compression. it puts more air into the cylinder. the only way the tranny is effected, is if you try and add 150hp, in that case, you might have to get a better clutch. but you will have problems with gaskets before you have tranny problems. any good turbo kit will come with those upgraded parts though.
some people may only want the power for those few seconds. besides, for the dollar, nos is the way to go seeing as no real turbo kit has been made for the legend. for $500 you can have nos kit installed, but turbo will cost you about 10000000 times more than that right now. but who knows, maybe down the road somethign will be made for our legends.

·
Yúgí
1,706 Posts
RangerJoe I saw a little mistake in your analysis of turbos. Turbo does not increase the compression ratio. Compression ratio is dependent on the pistons. For example a piston may be domed or whatever and that will increase compression while others will have like a dish and lower compression. Just because there is more air forced into the cylinder does not mean that there will be a change in compression. The volume in which the air is compressed will be the same regardless if you add a turbo or not.

If you see people with turbo cars you might see them mention switching to a lower compression pistons. High compression with turbo is not a good idea. I think I am right...

·
Yúgí
1,706 Posts
Now that I think about it. I thought you were talking about compression ratio and how it would be changed. Sorry about the misunderstanding:p

Now until someone gets a turbo or super charger to work properly with our cars Nitrous is our only form of forced induction.

·
Registered
595 Posts
rangerjoe said:

You are throwing around some good terminology but I don't think you understand a couple of fundamentals.

100hp boost of nitrous vs 100 hp boost of turbo

Intake temperatures will be lower with N20 becuase of the cooling nature of an expanding compressed gas. Turbo's will always heat the intake charge, even with a very very efficient intercooler (80-90%) over ambient temperature.

Lets talk about compression correctly. Compression is the ratio the fuel\air mixture is compressed on the compress stroke. Legends have a relatively high compression, thats how we make a lot of horsepower NA. When you add any kind of boost you are putting additional stress on the engine to compress the denser intake (fuel\air) charge. So in out 100N2O vs 100Turbo example both are putting nearly identical stresses on the motor. Assuming neither increase in power goes over the threshold the motor can't handle ie some internal breaks....which is better for longevity? Always having that 100 HP or only when you need it? Remember you are adding stress on the motor...

Last lets talk about what ususaly breaks a good motor. Running lean and pinging. On a high compression motor what is more likely to ping...a hotter less dense charge, or a colder denser charge? Even at the same "boost" or increase in PSI the colder charge which is what you want. A highschool chemistry class will teach you all about the gas laws and will explain how all this holds true.

So back to the application of this knowledge to our cars. DV8 mentioned that the hot exhaust gasses can't escape our ****ty headers. This is a problem ALL FI setups would face, turbo would need a new exhaust manifold anyway so this is almost moot. With N2O the kit pretty much manages the fuel setup for you. Its only running at WOT so there is little variability in its configuration, it just raises fuel pressure when active. With a turbo or supercharger you need true engine management. The fuel needs are different at 1\4, 1\2, and WOT so you need a complete spectrum of tuning.

So alas, when asking a question about the only from of FI AVAILABLE you try to chop the N20 users up. Last I checked the fastest Legend was on the laughing gas.

So, is 100 shot the ceiling or should I try to find a 75pill when I have my ZEX dry kit installed. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.