Acura Legend Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 90 L squeaks when it's running, but only when it's actually moving. No sounds when it's just sitting idle.
Bearings? Does it just need a lube?
Thanks

·
because i can.
10,163 Posts
Well...what kinda squeak are we talking here?

A bearing type of squeak could be wheel bearings, throwout bearing (if manual) distributor bearing...

Or a squeak could be like a bad ball joint...

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Or the another part of the suspension maybe? Top of the strut assembly? Prolly something you'd need to hear. Can you figure out where the noise originates from?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure the squeaking isn't the suspension.
It mainly comes from the front end of the car and is easier to hear from the inside of the car. the squeaks sometimes dull down after i've been driving for awhile. the car has an auto transmission.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if it's a speedometer cable. The speedometer works fine, though!
I'm thinking it's bearings. That would make the most sense.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Not sure if it's a speedometer cable. The speedometer works fine, though!
I'm thinking it's bearings. That would make the most sense.
If you're talking about the wheel bearings, they don't really squeak. They rumble when they're worn.

Pull the front wheels off and check the brake pads. It could be that you're hearing the wear sensors. They squeak.

·
Legend driver
198 Posts
Does the squeek change pitch when you apply the brakes?

Does the squeek change pitch when you drive backwards vs when you drive forwards?

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
You've got a good list of possible suspects OP... but, if the constant noise level increases with the car speed then it'll narrow it down to the wheel bearings and the brake pad sensors as previously stated.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The pitch isn't reliant on the speed or reverse vs. drive. but the squeaks slow down as the car slows down and speed up when i speed up. the brake wearing sounds make the most sense now. and if the bearings would make a rumbling noise, it isn't those.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got the brakes checked out.
turns out, it's not them.

the squeaks decrease in loudness once the car has been driving for awhile.
and when it's warmer out, i think.

any new ideas?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
got the brakes checked out.
turns out, it's not them.

the squeaks decrease in loudness once the car has been driving for awhile.
and when it's warmer out, i think.

any new ideas?
Glazed accessory belts...alternator, PS or A/C. I used to hold a fine toothed file against the sides of noisy belts while they're running to break the glaze. Temporary fix, at best. Do this at your own risk. Replacement is a much better option. Like coolant hoses, replace them in sets.

Keep in mind that these kinds of noises are practically impossible to diagnose thru a forum.

·
Legend driver
198 Posts
Is your speedometer needle jumpy?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts