Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Perhaps one of you more technical guys can help me out with this terminology and help me with this sound tweaking.

My deck is a Kenwood Z919 MP3 deck and has this "KEX Controls" featuers.

It basically allows me to control my Treble and Bass centre frequencies. I.E. Bass can be 60/70/80/100 Hz and Treble to be 10.0/12.5/15.0/17.5 Khz. Also the Bass has something called a "BASS Q" level which is is Bass Quality Factor with the following settings to chose from: 1.00/1.25/1.50/2.00. Lastly there is a BASS EXT (Bass Extend mode) which is ON/OFF settings and the manual mentions that it increases low frequency response by 20%.

Can anyone explain these settings to me? Is it worth adjusting these settings (cause I can disable all these settings). What levels are optimal? I understand frequencies when adjusting low pass filters and high pass filters but these frequency centering adjustments and Bass quality levels with those numbers are sorta going beyond me! Do any of these settings depend on what type of amp and speaker/subs I have?

Any help will greatly be appreciated as I want to tune my system to it's optimal sound output.

G

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm not familier with the setting either. They must be specific to Kenwood. I'm sure you've read your owners manual, that would be the best place to start or go to Kenwoods website and see if you can get some info there.

www.kenwoodusa.com

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I do have some experience with it. According to what I've heard from my friends who are professionals in the field and from putting together my own system, I've learned that the crossover and all those adjustments on the deck are completely freakin worthless. If you have amps with built in crossovers, that's what you wanna use to control everything. Even more worthless than the frequency settings on the deck are all those bass boost type deals. Just turn that stuff off (I think that crap actually contributed to me blowing one of my amps!) If you wanna keep those frequency settings on, the way you would set them is as follows: Whichever frequency you choose will be the cut-off point for what your speakers are reproducing, so if you set the bass to 60Hz, then that will supposedly be the highest frequency your woofers will reproduce and the rest will be sent to whichever speakers you have doing your mid-bass. At least that's how it works on my Alpine deck, so I figure it should be about the same. I hope that helps :D

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hey, I have a Kenwood KDCX911. It's 1.5 yrs old, but my unit has some of the same settings and my experience is that the internal crossover, bass boost, etc... suck. From what I've done in car stereo and seen on the competition scene, no one on the competition circuit uses the internal crossover, they always use external, either on the amp or as seperate piece.

I compared the crossover on my head unit versus the ones on my amps and I noticed that the sound was not as clean. Now that may all be perception because I didn't have an RTA to use to concur with my ears.

To that end, I can only describe the high/low crossover questions, as for the other 2 features. They sound like they are bass "enhancers". In my opinion, I wouldn't use them. To me, they "muddy" the bass, but that's just me. Everyone likes different things.

However, a quick education on sound and frequencies is in order(someone correct me if I'm wrong)--I'm also going to try and keep this really simple. Humans car hear in the fuequency range of 20HZ all the way up to 20,000HZ. Anything below 20HZ and you won't hear it, probably feel it, and anything above 20K and you won't hear it. But dogs can :).

The lower the frequency, the lower the bass, the higher the frequency, the more "treble" you'll get. It get's more technical than that, but for this explanation, you won't need it.

Now, on to the explanation of your settings:

Bass can be 60/70/80/100 Hz

What this setting does is to set the lowpass crossover point for your sub. What that means in English is that what ever number you set it to, all sound above that number will be filtered out.

This setting is used in conjunction with a specifice output on your head unit. i.e. either a set of RCA's marked subwoofer or non-fading output

The lower you set the number, the lower your crossover point.

So if you set it at 60, then all frequencies above 60HZ will be filtered out. My recommendation is that you set it to 80 or 100 (and realistically, I'd set it at 80--this is where mine is set)

Here is my explanation: If you set it to anything below 80, what you'll get is all the low bass and miss out on some of the higher bass. What that will also do, is to make the sub sound like it is not putting out enough volume. Play with the setting, and you'll see what I mean.

Anything higher than 80/100 and the bass will sound muddy or boomy. At about 120, what you'll get is some of the "boomy" sounds coming out of your sub--and quite possibly voices. I don't know if you've ever heard this or not, but when you listen to your AM/FM part of the radio and the announcer has a really deep voice, the deep part of his voice could show up in your sub and it'll sound like crap.

Also, where you put this setting will depend on where you set your "high pass" filter to. If you set this too low, and your lowpass too high, you could have a "hole" in your frequency range. Which leads me to the next point:

Treble to be 10.0/12.5/15.0/17.5 Khz

This is kind of like the lowpass setting. The difference is that this setting will filter out all frequencies below a certain number. In this case, 10K being the lowest and 17.5K being the highest.

You want to to always match your highest lowpass setting with your lowest highpass setting. In some systems, people use a 3 way crossover to seperate their sound. i.e. one setting for sub bass, something for the middle, and then another setting for the high range. The reason you want to do this is so that you don't have any "holes" in your sound. i.e. you have the entire 20 - 20K frequency range in your sound.

Are you sure the numbers that you've provided are accurate? The treble settings seem kind of high. Actually, really high. If you use the settings as they come here, you'll have a HUGE gaping hole in your sound.

I say this because, according to your numbers, the lowpass's highest setting is 100HZ, and the lowest highpass settting is 10K. That means that if you use these settings at their respective maximums, you'll have a hole in your sound from 100HZ through 10K. NOT good, and it'll probably sound like crap.

Your high pass settings should probably go all the way down to 80 and 100HZ to "match" your lowpass settings. Verify this. If your numbers are good, then DO NOT use the highpass setting, run your mids/highs in "full range".

In my system, I am using a crossover module on my amp. I have a Kicker ZR240 with a crossover module installed. My crossover is set at 80HZ with a 6db rollover (this is complicated and can go into that later, e-mail me). On my mids/highs, I am running my amp "full range". This means that I have no crossover running, just running the entire frequency range to my speaker.

I like this setup. I have ZERO distortion at a reasonable volume and the sound is terrific. I used to have my mids/highs crossed over at 80 HZ but I didn't like the sound so I started running it full range. This isn't highly recommended because you do run the risk of blowing your speakers with the lower frequencies, but I've not any problems so far and I"ve been running this way for 2 yrs now.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, and I hope I haven't confused you. If you have more questions, post here or e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All that information is wonderful! Thanks!

I should have sorta re-phrased my original post as there is a slight misunderstanding.

I do happen to know all about cross-overs so I'm good in that department :)

The frequency settings I wrote up there were for centre frequency settings (both Bass and Treble). These are not cross-over settings (which is why their range is out of whack). My deck has the cross-over settings but I do not use them (as you also prefer). All my cross overs are done at my amplifiers. My fosgate is running my subs at < 90Hz and I have my 6x9s on my sony 4channel with > 95Hz and my front components running at > 115Hz. What's this dB rollover? My fosgate amp has a remote "punch boost" dial that is linked up with a telephone cable which according to the manual increases the dB at 45Hz. Is this it?

Now back to those "centre" frequencies and Bass Q settings, I did some reading on the net and I think those are some sort of built-in equalizer settings I can play with. What it allows you to do (From my understanding) is adjust the location on the sound wave where the treble and bass adjustment levels (which you find on every deck) is located. So I can have the BASS level at +3 and the trable at +2 for example, but with these settings, I can set exactly what frequency those levels centre their effect on (which sorta mimicks an EQ). The Bass Q I think determines how wide the parabolla of the Bass you are affecting. What the Bass EXT does is increase the bass response below the centre that is set by 25%.

Again this is my understanding of what these do and I can be wrong so if anyone can correct me that would be great.

I'm not sure if I should use these settings, but when playing with them, it actually sounds nicer as I can tweak my highs and lows similar to an EQ. When I turn these settings off, it sounds more flat.

Tell me what you guys think.

G

·
Registered
306 Posts
Do you plan on competing in car audio? If not, then I would recommend that you play with those other settings to get to a sound that YOU like. I say this because ultimately, it's you that listens to it and have you live with it :).

Personally, I like my system the way it sounds without any equilization, but to each his own :cool:

Bao

1 - 6 of 6 Posts