Acura Legend Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a buddy of mine is buying an amp, and he wanted me to find out from u guys which was better:
a Soundstream Rubicon 300x2 max 75X2 RMS for 129.99
or an Ecplise im not sure which series 50x2 RMS for 179.99

i say Soundstream, but im not sure

·
Registered
847 Posts
G Rahn said:
Yes, it is. It's OK considering it only costs 100.00 on Ebay, but it's a lower end product. If you want a similar value item, the Lightning Audio Bolt B2300.2 is a decent amp for 100.00. It a value line Rockford Fosgate issue. I don't really have much to do with the value line stuff, but I happen to know about the SS stuff due to my collecting, and I was forced to buy a Bolt once when my Butler Audio caught on fire 700 miles from home and I at least wanted some noise. It was the cheapest Circuit City had and I actually think it's a pretty good product for the money.
hey, I've got a few soundstream amps that I need understand more. Are you willing to help me out? I'd post the model numbers if you are willing to tell me. Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
If the amp is in the $100 range it's a EA seires. It'a a good line. It all so depends what he's going to use the amp for?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I hate to be negative, but i would never get a soundstream product. I remember when they were located in Rancho Cordova a long time ago (when they were SUPPOSED to be good). I knew 4 different people that had systems using Soundstream amps and had nothing but problems with them. Amps would randomly cut out or stop working. Boards would go bad and such. Ive never seen anything like it with any other quality brand out there. Good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
847 Posts
G Rahn said:
You and your friends aren't alone. The SS Reference series got a deservedly bad reputation due to the later models being prone to breakdown.
Soundstream (actually, Stewart, who constructed the boards and were later bought out by SS) tried to cut costs going with outsourced power supplies and the problems started.
The S and SX series in particular were really known for their bad power supplies. When you get a good one, they are an excellent amp, but it's a crap shoot.
It was Soundstream's response to the problem that put them under. Warranty returns were held up, it took forever to get the repaired amps back to the customers, most of the repaired amps broke down again, etc. etc.
It didn't take long for customers to get pissed, and retailers dumped Soundstream for more "safe" products, like Kicker and Rockford Fosgate.
SS had gotten so big by going into the mainstream market that it wasn't possible for them to return to being a specialty mfr and that was it for them. The first buyout was pretty quiet, and the Rubicon line was developed. The first series are good amps. They are similar to the later Reference series, but the dependability issues were addressed.
But the damage of the earlier mistakes were unable to be overcome, and the company collapsed. Power Acoustik purchased the remains and uses the name, but none of the earlier board designs. The Rubicon II series were made overseas, the focus being on mass production, as with the rest of the Power Acoustik products. They have a couple of high end amps that are well built, but most of it isn't worth owning IMO.
ya, heard a horror story from Focal Audison training personnels during training: the soundstreams were famous for driving everything and anything, even if it means the power torroid burning through the board! :eek2: Of course, the older stuff is not affected by the problem!

Your info for my SS stock really worries me about the reliability and perfomance, I guess I'll probably just leave them to my boss to sell them. I hate selling crap and having to deal with them later.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Old stuff in most product is better then new :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.